Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Fuel Filter

In my advanced age, with an ever expanding pot belly, ever buxom manboobs, and maile pattern baldness.....I lost track of maintenance.

I could not remember the last fuel filter change.

Disconnect the rear first. Screwdriver pries open the red tab and line will release easily.

Disconnect the front using a special purpose tool. Tool can easily be found at auto supply stores, online, and by calling your local Snap-On, Matco, et cetera.

Install new filter in reverse order.

Be sure that the filter is in the bracket correctly, and that the front fuel line leading to the engine is in the "C" shaped bracket securely. The last Bubba (could have been me) did not install correctly.

Note that I used a GM AC Delco GF796, to replace a Ford Motorcraft FG1083. If you want to know why; because it was cheaper. You can decide for yourself which part to use & why.

Hope the photos help.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Old 12-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 PM
Old 01-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are the man...…..Thank you very much!!!! Have a great year.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fifty150
In my advanced age, with an ever expanding pot belly, ever buxom manboobs, and maile pattern baldness.....I lost track of maintenance.

I could not remember the last fuel filter change.

Disconnect the rear first. Screwdriver pries open the red tab and line will release easily.

Disconnect the front using a special purpose tool. Tool can easily be found at auto supply stores, online, and by calling your local Snap-On, Matco, et cetera.

Install new filter in reverse order.

Be sure that the filter is in the bracket correctly, and that the front fuel line leading to the engine is in the "C" shaped bracket securely. The last Bubba (could have been me) did not install correctly.

Note that I used a GM AC Delco GF796, to replace a Ford Motorcraft FG1083. If you want to know why; because it was cheaper. You can decide for yourself which part to use & why.

Hope the photos help.
My 07 F150 utilizes the blue clip disconnection.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
My 07 F150 utilizes the blue clip disconnection.
Interesting that you have an '07 w/ 4.2, and I have an '07 w/ 4.2. Both must have come from the same plant. Both have different color clips. And those clips are different.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Fifty150
Interesting that you have an '07 w/ 4.2, and I have an '07 w/ 4.2. Both must have come from the same plant. Both have different color clips. And those clips are different.
I think it's a racist thing.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting. I never looked at fuel filter specs before. Never had any reason to and still don't but looked anyway. The Motorcraft is rated at 90% filtration at 20 microns. The Delco, is not rated at all. Per Delco catalog specs,it says N/A. But I wouldn't go rip it off of the truck. It's good enough for GM injection systems should make it good enough for Ford. The reason it's cheaper probably has more to do with capacity than filtration rates. The Delco has a capacity of 363 grams which is roughly 12 ounces by weight. Motorcraft doesn't show the capacity in their specs.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
The reason it's cheaper probably has more to do with capacity than filtration rates.

Based on no direct knowledge what-s0-ever....I'll just shoot from the hip or talk out of my rear end. I believe that pricing has absolutely nothing to do with performance. Pricing fluctuates with the market. Supply, demand, availability......Maybe nobody is buying AC Delco parts for Ford, so they have to offer it a lower price to move the product. Same way I use MotorCraft filters on Hondas, because Honda charges twice as much for their own brand of filters. A lot of Jeep owners use MotorCraft filters for the same reason. Same way Ford ignition parts are made by Denso, but Ford Motorcraft is always priced higher. I just got a Denso radiator, which was priced at 1/4 or what the dealership wanted for a Ford MotorCraft radiator. $125 vs $500. Distributor told me that they were exactly the same - both made by Denso to the same specs, at the same factory.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter