Ecoboost Map Sensor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:14 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
You sure it's not the vacuum pump you are hearing? Those are also known to make a racket.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Oops! I was off only by a factor of 10 - no big deal right? (Serves me right for not looking it up!) Thanks, Wookie!

- Jack
You'll have to find a lot stronger of coils to run that much gap.
I didn't even notice it till you said something. I picked up a new set of plugs for my truck today. Once I get my brother's piece of Chevy finished I'll get them done. Then I have to put a heater core in my wife's Beetle. Yuck!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plugs and MAF cleaning

Alright, wanted to give an update. I replaced the plugs, all 6 were over .040 gap that were in it. Problem #1 fixed. Next, cleaned the MAF's per the instructions on this thread using CRC MAF cleaner, much much better idle, but only while cold. When the truck warms up now, it seems that the idle while steady on the tach, is now rougher. I'm wondering if perhaps there's a transmission/Torque converter issue here. Also, it seems my HPFP is getting louder. I guess its times to bring it in to the so-so shop here for some warranty work.

I will say this though, with the MAF cleaning and plugs, my city mileage increased from 14-ish to 17-ish, so I am happy with that!! Thank you!

SP, Pretty sure there's no exhaust leak as it doesn't seem to make as much noise when the truck is cold. As for the vacuum pump, I'd be surprised if its that loud too. I'll try to get a vid of it and post it here.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Ok, tell me if this link doesn't work:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NjUjhtdnhFRk1B

This is a video of the sound I'm talking about, right after doing plugs and MAF cleaning. I swear its gotten louder since.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Did you disconnect your battery while you were doing the work? The PCM might be off because of the old values.

Secondly, the tach isn't a good gauge to see how the idle is doing. A lot of manufacturers set the PCM to hold the tach needle steady at idle instead of showing the actual values.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Yes, I did indeed disconnect the battery. I didn't want to take the risk of messing anything up.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Alot of fella's on other groups swear by the Marvel Mystery oil, i added some in the fuel and it did make it more quiet, Got on this forum and got blasted for using it

Since then i haven't used it anymore and while it is louder its not to bad and have come to the conclusion that its very normal.

I have a question, would different grade or brands of fuel make the HPFP louder than usual?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I thought about the fuel grade too. So lately I've been running premium. Seems to have no difference at all. I've heard other trucks with the hpfp noise, but I swear mine seems way louder. I'll be calling the local dealer here next week for an appointment.

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Alot of fella's on other groups swear by the Marvel Mystery oil, i added some in the fuel and it did make it more quiet, Got on this forum and got blasted for using it

Since then i haven't used it anymore and while it is louder its not to bad and have come to the conclusion that its very normal.

I have a question, would different grade or brands of fuel make the HPFP louder than usual?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:07 AM
The HPFP is typically kinda noisy. I've heard them make a ticking/knocking sound in lots of different cars.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Exclamation Very Bad Mileage Still!!

Hello everyone. New to the forum and have may questions and concerns. I bought a used 2013 F150 Supercrew XLT Sept. last year. This truck has the 3.15 rear and stated on the lie-o-meter then that the average was 21MPG. My wife and I took a trip to Nashville from Chattanooga the very next weekend and I got 23.1 MPG. This was also reflected that same when I did the math at the next fill-up. I also noted the lose in power on WOT from water ingestion from the CAC. It was a very rainy day. All was well with the ECO even though I was pulling about 2700lb every weekend. I was getting about 17 average per tank and noted about 22 when on a trip. Then I heard the cladder on startup that has been described as issues with the timing chain and phasers. I have a video recording of this sound. It does not happen every start and sometimes not at all for weeks. After this I noticed MPG dropped significantly. I was down to 14 MPG and at most 19 on the hwy. I took the truck in to the dealer,told them what was going on, explained the low MPG, and showed then the video of the sound it was making. Basically I was told that they could not hear the sound at start up and that the reason I was getting low MPG was because of winter fuel. The would not do anything to fix ether issue. That was at 45000 miles. I now have 52000 miles, it is June and I am still getting 14-15 around town and 18-19 on the hwy. I have kept the trip #2 running since I bought the truck and not reset it. With 7000 miles it is stating an average of 16 mpg. I changed the plugs I think at 47000 and it did not help. I have read about the cleaning of the MAF sensors so that is next. I love my truck but hate the fact that if there is no code and he cant replicate, my dealer will not fix the problem. Some of this I can understand. But when you have the noise recorded and it is a know problem (everywhere on the forums) and I am getting very poor mileage, why was there a check not made to see if something was amiss causing these issues.
Sorry to rant but had to get it off my chest. Not having good luck in Chatt with dealer. Never have.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tazwatson
Hello everyone. New to the forum and have may questions and concerns. I bought a used 2013 F150 Supercrew XLT Sept. last year. This truck has the 3.15 rear and stated on the lie-o-meter then that the average was 21MPG. My wife and I took a trip to Nashville from Chattanooga the very next weekend and I got 23.1 MPG. This was also reflected that same when I did the math at the next fill-up. I also noted the lose in power on WOT from water ingestion from the CAC. It was a very rainy day. All was well with the ECO even though I was pulling about 2700lb every weekend. I was getting about 17 average per tank and noted about 22 when on a trip. Then I heard the cladder on startup that has been described as issues with the timing chain and phasers. I have a video recording of this sound. It does not happen every start and sometimes not at all for weeks. After this I noticed MPG dropped significantly. I was down to 14 MPG and at most 19 on the hwy. I took the truck in to the dealer,told them what was going on, explained the low MPG, and showed then the video of the sound it was making. Basically I was told that they could not hear the sound at start up and that the reason I was getting low MPG was because of winter fuel. The would not do anything to fix ether issue. That was at 45000 miles. I now have 52000 miles, it is June and I am still getting 14-15 around town and 18-19 on the hwy. I have kept the trip #2 running since I bought the truck and not reset it. With 7000 miles it is stating an average of 16 mpg. I changed the plugs I think at 47000 and it did not help. I have read about the cleaning of the MAF sensors so that is next. I love my truck but hate the fact that if there is no code and he cant replicate, my dealer will not fix the problem. Some of this I can understand. But when you have the noise recorded and it is a know problem (everywhere on the forums) and I am getting very poor mileage, why was there a check not made to see if something was amiss causing these issues.
Sorry to rant but had to get it off my chest. Not having good luck in Chatt with dealer. Never have.
Couple things..

1. The mileage you are getting is still close. My 2013 on the window sticker is 15 city and 22 hwy. If your 4wd it drops by one to 14 city 21 highway. So the dealer isn't going to do anything about that.

2. When you changed the plugs what did you gap them too?

3. Tell your dealer they need to check the latest TSB on the timing chain rattle. It states if the customer hears it and says NOTHING that they have to replicate the problem. The previous tsb said they did have to replicate. If they still give you problems then find another dealer or get ahold of ford customer service

4. Are you running a catch can or do you have a small hole drilled in the intercooler for the moisture issue?

5. What oil change intervals are you running and what oil do you use?

Oh and one helpful tidbit about your fuel mileage, It may help if you reset the KAM. If you can unhook the battery in the evening and let it sit overnight.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 06-07-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Smile Thanks

Couple things..

1. The mileage you are getting is still close. My 2013 on the window sticker is 15 city and 22 hwy. If your 4wd it drops by one to 14 city 21 highway. So the dealer isn't going to do anything about that.

2. When you changed the plugs what did you gap them too?

3. Tell your dealer they need to check the latest TSB on the timing chain rattle. It states if the customer hears it and says NOTHING that they have to replicate the problem. The previous tsb said they did have to replicate. If they still give you problems then find another dealer or get ahold of ford customer service

4. Are you running a catch can or do you have a small hole drilled in the intercooler for the moisture issue?

5. What oil change intervals are you running and what oil do you use?

Oh and one helpful tidbit about your fuel mileage, It may help if you reset the KAM. If you can unhook the battery in the evening and let it sit overnight.
Thanks for the reply KingRanchCoy.

Answers:
1. Remember I am driving a truck that has the 3.15 gear in the rear end. The sticker states 19 city and 23 Hwy. I do not have 4WD and am running bone stock (no programmer).
2. I used the new plugs that were called for (cant remember number) and the all gapped at .030. The old ones I removed were all between .036 and .038.
3. I had the TSB when I went to the dealer and gave it to them. They still would not do anything because they could not replicate even thought I had a video recording of the sound. BTW, I noticed this morning that the sound was present again but this time was very short and not as loud as the recording. Maybe because I was not paying attention.
4. No catch can and no hole. Am always afraid i will get shafted by the dealer here in Chattanooga. I still have about 8000 left on the powertrain warranty.
5. Changed the Oil the first time when the Oil life was at 10% I think I had put 5000 miles on it. When I changed I used the Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30.

When I changed the plugs I disconnected the battery but it may not have been long enough to reset the Computer.

Thanks again for the reply. It just feels good that someone is willing to talk and aid rather than say "There is nothing we can do unless we can replicate the problem". The fuel mileage alone should have been a red flag.

John

Old 06-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tazwatson
Thanks for the reply KingRanchCoy.

Answers:
1. Remember I am driving a truck that has the 3.15 gear in the rear end. The sticker states 19 city and 23 Hwy. I do not have 4WD and am running bone stock (no programmer).
2. I used the new plugs that were called for (cant remember number) and the all gapped at .030. The old ones I removed were all between .036 and .038.
3. I had the TSB when I went to the dealer and gave it to them. They still would not do anything because they could not replicate even thought I had a video recording of the sound. BTW, I noticed this morning that the sound was present again but this time was very short and not as loud as the recording. Maybe because I was not paying attention.
4. No catch can and no hole. Am always afraid i will get shafted by the dealer here in Chattanooga. I still have about 8000 left on the powertrain warranty.
5. Changed the Oil the first time when the Oil life was at 10% I think I had put 5000 miles on it. When I changed I used the Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30.

When I changed the plugs I disconnected the battery but it may not have been long enough to reset the Computer.

Thanks again for the reply. It just feels good that someone is willing to talk and aid rather than say "There is nothing we can do unless we can replicate the problem". The fuel mileage alone should have been a red flag.

John

You have done everything correctly with oil changes, gaps etc. It may be related to the timing chain rattle. Is there another ford dealer in the area? I have heard people having problems with the dealers on the chain rattle with the newest tsb and usually 2 things happens. 1 they show the service manager about them not having to replicate the problem, 2. making a call to ford customer service and then they get on the dealers butt and they end up doing it. May be a good idea to get ahold of the ford rep on this site, let her know whats going on and start a claim.

Id go ahead and clean the sensors just to see but i don't see you gaining the 4 mpg you need. Another thing is possibly remove the intercooler and clean it. I have used Simple Green and water inside the intercooler, slosh it around and let it sit for a little while, Then pour it out and pour some rubbing alcohol in there and pour it out ( seems to help with drying time)

Just recently i went ahead and drilled the intercooler since i had my first issue with the moisture issue, Pulled up on the interstate and it fell on its ***. Had to pull over and let it idle for a little bit and everything was fine. When i got home i drilled it and couldn't beleive the water and gunk that came out of it.

BTW had no clue the 3.15 was rated for 23mpg, Learned something new

Old 06-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Exclamation

You have done everything correctly with oil changes, gaps etc. It may be related to the timing chain rattle. Is there another ford dealer in the area? I have heard people having problems with the dealers on the chain rattle with the newest tsb and usually 2 things happens. 1 they show the service manager about them not having to replicate the problem, 2. making a call to ford customer service and then they get on the dealers butt and they end up doing it. May be a good idea to get ahold of the ford rep on this site, let her know whats going on and start a claim.

Id go ahead and clean the sensors just to see but i don't see you gaining the 4 mpg you need. Another thing is possibly remove the intercooler and clean it. I have used Simple Green and water inside the intercooler, slosh it around and let it sit for a little while, Then pour it out and pour some rubbing alcohol in there and pour it out ( seems to help with drying time)

Just recently i went ahead and drilled the intercooler since i had my first issue with the moisture issue, Pulled up on the interstate and it fell on its ***. Had to pull over and let it idle for a little bit and everything was fine. When i got home i drilled it and couldn't beleive the water and gunk that came out of it.

BTW had no clue the 3.15 was rated for 23mpg, Learned something new
Thanks KingRanchCoy. I have noticed there being a rep the comes on to the forums every now and then. How does one get in touch or do they just monitor to see what is going on from time to time?

Old 06-08-2016, 05:04 PM
I'll just add, Drill baby, drill!!!!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Map Sensor Cleaning