Does the EcoBoost do well with 35" tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would Definitely go EB over 5.0 if you are going to run the bigger tires. The 5.0 doesnt get it its full torque band until around 4k RPM where as the Eb is hitting it at 2500. I have the 3.55s and to me that is the perfect gear for these trucks. Still Tows Great, Hauls Butt and get's good mileage also.

3.73's are great also in the Eb, but most all people don't get great fuel mileage with those gears. I think Mitch is an exception to this as his mileage is pretty good.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys...update here:

Me and my dad are talking to a dealer about two trucks right now:

1. 2014 F-150 XLT Crew Cab EcoBoost - Blue Jeans color - 3.55 gears - Offroad Package - Center Console - No chrome package (which is alright with me anyhow)

2. 2014 F-150 XLT Crew Cab EcoBoost - Ruby Red color - 3.73 gears - Max tow package - Bench Seat (folds into center console)

There are no actual photos of the truck on the dealers website, so I am waiting on some photos (my dad is picking up the truck - I am 2 hours away from the dealership we are dealing with). If the I like the exterior of the blue one that will probably be the way to go.

UPDATE:

Just got the pictures of both trucks. I think I may go for the blue one with the 3.55 gears. It has a pinstripe on the sides which I don't care for, but I love the rest of the truck.

Last edited by CC268; 04-08-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I would Definitely go EB over 5.0 if you are going to run the bigger tires. The 5.0 doesnt get it its full torque band until around 4k RPM where as the Eb is hitting it at 2500. I have the 3.55s and to me that is the perfect gear for these trucks. Still Tows Great, Hauls Butt and get's good mileage also.

3.73's are great also in the Eb, but most all people don't get great fuel mileage with those gears. I think Mitch is an exception to this as his mileage is pretty good.
What he said. There's no way I would want a 5.0 with 3.31s and big, heavy tires. The EB has enough low end grunt to deal with the extra load of the tires but your mileage will suffer for it. The 5.0 needs to rev to make power and the oversized tires combined with the highway gears will keep it outta the power band most of the time. If I was to buy a 4x4 5.0 it would have 3.73s or it could stay on the dealership lot.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys it looks like were gonna go with the 2014 XLT EcoBoost Crew Cab 4x4 with the offroad package and the 3.55s! Should be an awesome truck!

I will post a new thread and some photos of the new truck when I get it (hopefully sometime this weekend).

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any opinions on how the new 10 speed gearbox will work with 3.31 gears and slightly oversized tires?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
jus my 2 cents, but, I replaced the stock tires when new 50 miles with a set of 275/70/18 Toyo AT-2 these tires overall are about 1/2 inch taller then stock. according to ford dealer,they are the reason my mileage sucks 10 -11 in town , have seen as high as 15 on the highway 14 eco 4x4 3:55 gears. I think there full of it, I can understand a little in town but not highway,as a taller tire actually lowers the gear ratio ,which lowers the highway rpm at the same speed which according to all math should get better mileage then the shorter stock tire. If I put on 35's as the op suggests I would according to ford get really **** poor mileage. My opinion, fords making excuses for there baby, they have a ton of money in something that's not performing to expectations. If I could afford it ,this pos would be long gone. oh ya , now that i'm pulling a little toy hauler,on take off,the drivetrain bounces around like all mounts are broke,ya ford says nothing is wrong. any of you that was around in the 60's and remember fords sales slogans; well on this one there light bulb is burn't out. NEW SLOGAN should be FORD SUCKS

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Did you get reprogrammed for the larger tires? If not, your gas mileage figures are invalid and it's not running optimally. Also, I'd bet those tires are heavier and have more rolling resistance than the stockers.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
jus my 2 cents, but, I replaced the stock tires when new 50 miles with a set of 275/70/18 Toyo AT-2 these tires overall are about 1/2 inch taller then stock. according to ford dealer,they are the reason my mileage sucks 10 -11 in town , have seen as high as 15 on the highway 14 eco 4x4 3:55 gears. I think there full of it, I can understand a little in town but not highway,as a taller tire actually lowers the gear ratio ,which lowers the highway rpm at the same speed which according to all math should get better mileage then the shorter stock tire. If I put on 35's as the op suggests I would according to ford get really **** poor mileage. My opinion, fords making excuses for there baby, they have a ton of money in something that's not performing to expectations. If I could afford it ,this pos would be long gone. oh ya , now that i'm pulling a little toy hauler,on take off,the drivetrain bounces around like all mounts are broke,ya ford says nothing is wrong. any of you that was around in the 60's and remember fords sales slogans; well on this one there light bulb is burn't out. NEW SLOGAN should be FORD SUCKS

So, you get taller tires on a brand new truck before even finding out what the stock tires are going to net you and now "FORD SUCKS"...

Okay... Sell the POS and get a Dodge or Chevy or something else...

Good luck with those with the same tires on them

Mitch

Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
So, you get taller tires on a brand new truck before even finding out what the stock tires are going to net you and now "FORD SUCKS"...

Okay... Sell the POS and get a Dodge or Chevy or something else...

Good luck with those with the same tires on them

Mitch
First off I had to put new tires on at 50 miles due to getting stuck in 6 inches of snow with the crap entry level tires that all manufacturers put on the vehicles. Not just ford . Second I put the same tire brand and size on our 06 150 4x4 5.4 and it made no difference in mileage. And the 5.4 averages 14-15 in town and 17 - 18 on the highway,way better then the ecoboost. The main point I was making is that dealers will fill you full of b.s. when they can't figure out what is wrong with a vehicle. So, bottom line is I have a 50,000.00 dollar truck that has had its motor replaced at 2000 miles, the gas mileage is terrible and now the drivetrain shakes and bangs on take off with a small trailer and the dealer can not find anything wrong. It feels like the trans mount is broke in half ,but they say no. Bottom line this is my 7th or 8th new ford truck, no real issues with any other. This truck is a pos , ford has a problem with it,and they admit it,but can't fix anything and won't do anything about it. So i'm stuck with it. So ya

Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Well, that's a bummer... Yeah, sounds like you got a POS... Not that it helps you any now, but I wish you luck with the next one.

Mitch

Old 04-30-2015, 07:00 PM
glc
Have you reached out to Crystal, our Ford service rep?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Yes I have been I touch with crystal, I am taking it back in again next week and she said to let her know how it works out. The dealer said we can take a look at it ,but I don't know what to look for. So who knows, I would think with all the bs with this truck ford would get with me. They know it has all these problems but has no idea what to do to cure it. Oh ya and got in it today and the drivers door speaker is blown and the gps is screwed up poked in a local address and it took me to someplace in Idaho. I drive the 06 everywhere because I hate the 13, but I took the 13 today just for the gps. yup-screwed again. I have never named a vehicle until this one,i call it LUCIFER

Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Good lord sounds like a legit pos. Question: is the build date right before a holiday or on a Friday? Would be curious to see.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM
glc
I'd start hinting about a buyout.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
Stock size tires if you are 4x4 are 275/65/18s, you bumped up to a 275/70 18. The stock tires weigh in around 40lbs. Your toyo's weigh in at 53lbs a piece. And as stated your speedometer is off also making your fuel mileage off. I went from 265/60/18s to 275/65/18s and my speedometer was off around 4.5 mph. Recalibrated the speedometer and now its dead on. With the Oem's i could pop off 22 mpg on the highway easily.. With these coopers i have lost around 2mpg on highway trips and close to 3mpg in town. I think Bluejay lost around 2mpg on his 2011 5.0 by switching tires and he kept the same size. So it could be possible you have lost fuel mileage with your tires.

Bet you would be close to 14 in town and 18 highway if you were running the stock tires. Fuel mileage on a 4x4 Eb city is 15mpg..

Quick Reply: Does the EcoBoost do well with 35" tires?