Ecoboost Screw 157 WB, 4.10 vs 3.73

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prime81
keep in mind my current Tundra has bilstein 5100 shocks which make it sit about an inch higher than stock
Interesting as I've never encountered any shock supporting the weight of the vehicle, much less raising the trucks ride/suspension height.

I was of the understanding the springs were responsible for the vehicle ride height and supporting load. As right now I can go remove all four of my shocks with zero change in ride height.

Now if its a front strut or coil over spring, it would be more correctly stated the different spring, strut, or the modified spring base plate increased the front ride height. The rear, well since our trucks are a separated leaf spring/shock combination, not sure how the shock could increase rear ride height.

Last edited by joemac; 05-09-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Depends how strong the shock is. The bilstein 5100s on the front have a plate that can be adjusted to give lift up to 3 inches i believe.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I see what your talking about. Has nothing to do with the shock, it's the coil spring and strut frame that support the weight and set the ride height.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...WebArticle.pdf

Last edited by joemac; 05-09-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by joemac
I see what your talking about. Has nothing to do with the shock, it's the coil spring and strut frame that support the weight and set the ride height.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...WebArticle.pdf
Yup and a quote from that link pertains to the increased height in the rear shocks.

"Bilstein 5100 Series Leveling Shocks are 1/2” to 3/4” longer, depending on application, than the O.E. shocks they replace."

Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Preloaded gas charged shocks can raise the ride height.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Just as an FYI, I found this truck while looking. It's too far away for any kind of deal for me and too far away to test drive. But if someone is around the illinois area could give it a test drive. 4.10 rear end fx4, max tow pkg.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Last edited by prime81; 05-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Yup and a quote from that link pertains to the increased height in the rear shocks.

"Bilstein 5100 Series Leveling Shocks are 1/2” to 3/4” longer, depending on application, than the O.E. shocks they replace."
They might raise the ride height but they certainly don't raise your payload # that you are legally able to carry. So is that why you think you can carry more than your actual door jam sticker says? Because the rear of the truck is a little higher and you have more space before hitting the bump stops?? Just because the truck sits higher doesn't mean it can handle more weight.. No matter how you look at it, If, god forbid something happens to you while towing the first thing they will look at is the trailer #'s posted on the side and your trucks door jam #'s. So simple put you will be in the wrong and more than likely not covered by your insurance because you are over your trucks posted ratings..

Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Ignore the coil spring and coil spring perch, or the leaf spring in the rear in how it actually substantiates ride height while stating its the shock that's responsible for ride height.

Longer shocks are just that longer shocks. A longer shock is made to adapt to a longer distance between the shock mount on the frame and the total extended axle travel. Like one commonly found on a suspension lifted vehicle. The greater the extended distance between shock frame mount and shock axle tab, demands a longer shock.

Within the Bilstein spec sheet it clearly states the responsible component of ride height.

"The lift on the 5100 Series leveling shocks is achieved by increasing the preload on the factory coil."

Last edited by joemac; 05-10-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin O.
They might raise the ride height but they certainly don't raise your payload # that you are legally able to carry. So is that why you think you can carry more than your actual door jam sticker says? Because the rear of the truck is a little higher and you have more space before hitting the bump stops?? Just because the truck sits higher doesn't mean it can handle more weight.. No matter how you look at it, If, god forbid something happens to you while towing the first thing they will look at is the trailer #'s posted on the side and your trucks door jam #'s. So simple put you will be in the wrong and more than likely not covered by your insurance because you are over your trucks posted ratings..

You are not the end all be all authority of trailer pulling. And yes I've seen you trolling the same trailer crap on rv.net as well. Not everyone needs an HD payload package, and not everyone is over their stated ratings. My setup is safe and within the ratings of my vehicle, and guess what the 2013 fx4 max tow I just ordered will be pulling it just fine even without the HD payload package.

So let me ask you a question, if the payload numbers on your truck went down by say roughly 600lbs(which is about the average reduction) when Ford moves to the new rating standards are you going to trade your truck in for an f250? Or are you going to keep pulling it with your f150 that you've been pulling it with for the past few years? I mean legally the sticker on your door jamb will change and you will be over your ratings when that happens. There is around a 25% buffer in weight ratings required by the federal government, if ya don't believe me look it up. My truck was rated for 1555lbs of payload back in 2010 before they adopted the new ratings, now it's down to 1250lbs. The design did not change.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With 3.73 the truck will spend more time in each gear making boost longer thus towing easier as the truck will make more power longer. Look at the tuned ecoboost, the 3.55 gear is faster in the quarter then 3.73 and 4.10. Opposite an N/A truck. I would go 3.73 as turbo setups are different then the ol V8 + gears tried and true.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Yep that's what I ordered...

2013 FX4 Supercrew 6.5ft bed
402a
Luxury pkg
max trailer tow pkg
nav/moonroof
tailgate step

Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM
You are not the end all be all authority of trailer pulling. And yes I've seen you trolling the same trailer crap on rv.net as well. Not everyone needs an HD payload package, and not everyone is over their stated ratings. My setup is safe and within the ratings of my vehicle, and guess what the 2013 fx4 max tow I just ordered will be pulling it just fine even without the HD payload package.

So let me ask you a question, if the payload numbers on your truck went down by say roughly 600lbs(which is about the average reduction) when Ford moves to the new rating standards are you going to trade your truck in for an f250? Or are you going to keep pulling it with your f150 that you've been pulling it with for the past few years? I mean legally the sticker on your door jamb will change and you will be over your ratings when that happens. There is around a 25% buffer in weight ratings required by the federal government, if ya don't believe me look it up. My truck was rated for 1555lbs of payload back in 2010 before they adopted the new ratings, now it's down to 1250lbs. The design did not change.
I never said i was the authority of trailer pulling. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the 1100lb dry tongue weight of your trailer is only 150lbs less than your trucks max payload of 1250lbs!!! You say your setup is safe, possibly? Who knows how much your truck can honestly handle? But your trucks posted #'s seem to tell a different story and that's all I'm going by.. You are correct in that not everyone needs a HD payload pkg but you certainly can use it with that heavy azz trailer! Especially if you think the new payload standards will be dropping Fords #'s by 600lbs! It just makes no sense if you are buying a new truck anyway why you wouldn't just get it. As far as my setup , If Ford drops my #'s by 600lbs i would end up having to transfer the gear in the bed of my truck to the trailer but yes i would probably still be over by about 200lbs.
As far as you saying that i "troll" the same trailer crap on another website, give me a break. No matter what tow vehicle it might be, it has a max payload amount. So it doesn't matter if you change the stock tires to 10ply or upgrade the shocks, the max payload # doesn't change period.......

P. S. Best of luck with the new truck!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin O.
I never said i was the authority of trailer pulling. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the 1100lb dry tongue weight of your trailer is only 150lbs less than your trucks max payload of 1250lbs!!! You say your setup is safe, possibly? Who knows how much your truck can honestly handle? But your trucks posted #'s seem to tell a different story and that's all I'm going by.. You are correct in that not everyone needs a HD payload pkg but you certainly can use it with that heavy azz trailer! Especially if you think the new payload standards will be dropping Fords #'s by 600lbs! It just makes no sense if you are buying a new truck anyway why you wouldn't just get it. As far as my setup , If Ford drops my #'s by 600lbs i would end up having to transfer the gear in the bed of my truck to the trailer but yes i would probably still be over by about 200lbs.
As far as you saying that i "troll" the same trailer crap on another website, give me a break. No matter what tow vehicle it might be, it has a max payload amount. So it doesn't matter if you change the stock tires to 10ply or upgrade the shocks, the max payload # doesn't change period.......

P. S. Best of luck with the new truck!

I don't change shocks or tires to change the capacities... I do it to improve stability and control hence I adhere to safety. Your not above anyone here, and you have no flippin clue what the actual weights are between the TV and TT specifically the setup we have. If I can drive 55mph in 40 mph gusts with everyone and their dog passing me going 75mph and withstand those crosswinds then I would say I have a pretty damn stable and safe setup.

I will say this, you are a stubborn troll. But again I can be stubborn as well and the facts are the only difference between the HD payload and max trailer tow is the 7 lug wheel assemblies, and the added rear leaf spring. The axle is the same exact part number as the axle on the 157wb max tow truck. I don't care what the door jamb sticker says the axle ratings are, because inherently the axle rating includes the capacity of the rear leaf springs. I have literally crawled under two of these trucks side by side and wrote down the part numbers for comparison and then went online and cross referenced each part. The only difference is in the 146inch WB trucks and that difference is only the rear end. The keyword your not catching is "rating" it doesn't say exactly what you can and cannot tow or throw in the back of the truck. Rating is a generalized term from the government standards that takes into account a wide array of parts and capacities in the truck. The shocks, frame strength, axles capacities, leaf spring capacities, tire capacities, and wheel assembly capacities all play a part in determining that rating thus it is generalized. It all boils down to, are you towing safely? or are you putting yourself and others at risk?

As for the new truck, I can't wait... I'm glad to see the EB got fixed and I hope I don't end up with a lemon this time. I've always liked alot of the features and certain looks of the f150. Can't wait to see my blue flame truck

Last edited by prime81; 05-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 AM
cool, glad to hear you ordered what you need this time. Wishing you good luck with the new one!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
In one of the chats when EcoBoost was first coming out Ford said they were offering the 4.10 over the 3.73 for better traction off-road in sand or mud. As long as you got the Max Tow Package, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Screw 157 WB, 4.10 vs 3.73