Fuel dilution in the oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro1
I know I've seen way more Blackstone reports with 6-7% dilution on diesels than <2%. Seen some EB results around 5% dilution. Not bothering with mine. Change it 3-4K, save the money on an analysis and not looking back.
No matter changing oil at 3k or 13k, having scientific oil analysis and the knowledge of the actual observed metrics can enable more informed decisions if someone chooses.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Diesels generally have a much higher oil capacity than gassers, that makes a difference. The EB holds 6 quarts, your Dirtymax holds 10 quarts. Also, the 2002 has no emissions equipment. That makes a big difference too. I'd like to see UOA's on 2007+ diesels too.

The 2001-2004 DM's are one of the best diesels out there, in the same class as the Ford 7.3 PSD and the 12 valve (and early 24 valve) 5.9 Cummins.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
It was stated previously that DI gas engines dilute fuel just like diesels. Somehow attempting to draw similarities that the common methods of fuel delivery, direct injection was responsible.

Seeing as the diesel referenced with measured results having no notable fuel present, the diesel while it does have 60% more oil capacity than the EB fill, has nearly twice the mileage on the fill. It becomes difficult to accept that fuel dilution is simply a normal symptom of direct injection.

6500 miles on this sample from a F150 EB and a trace of fuel.

Here's a 3,750 mile sample from a Hyundai 1.6 direct injection with no traceable amount of fuel.

Here's a 2,800 mile sample from a GM 3.6 direct injection with no traceable amount of fuel.

No doubt there are issues experienced, though far from conclusive this is a symptom in general of direct injection.

I'll have another reference here from a 2012 Edge with EB here in the next two months or so. I'll also have another reference for a 2013 F150 with EB in the next three or four to compare.

I'll be interested to see additional scientific data points before determining where the issue resides. As of now I'm unable to qualify all direct injection as typical to have high amounts of fuel dilution.

The fuel dilution issues I've seen experienced on diesel truck applications were associated with injector casings being compromised and leaking raw fuel into the oil. This is certainly not a normal or expected condition. This is something that certainly needs additional input so that an informed conclusion can be had at some point in time.

Last edited by joemac; 04-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM
This is one of the major issues I had with my EB. I took it in for a UOA at 2800 miles after changing oil at 1800 miles. The report recommended changing the oil again after only 1000 miles due to high fuel dilution. Oddly enough the first thing out of the analysis guy's mouth was "this is a gas engine?".

From what I can tell though, this is common for the EB... however I'm not sure if the engine is supposed to do this or if it's simply something due to the way the EB is tuned.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Could it be a tune that is to rich?
Or with the two turbos giving a much higher cylinder pressures pushing fuel past the rings into the crankcase?
Or some of the injectors leaking a bit?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
No, proper combustion, lack of misfire symptom, even with a engine that's tuned rich for idle/part throttle at 12:1 or greater will not contribute to 4 and 5% fuel dilution. Fuel leaking from the fuel system, compromised injector seal or body will behave like the symptom however.

The latter, cracked injector bodies in diesels, is not an uncommon symptom that leads to fuel dilution. However most owners not testing oil usually find out when the symptom is at the catastrophic stage with oil and fuel come pouring out of the crank case: dip stick, fill tube, valve cover gasket. Previous to this not in all cases however visible smoke is visible at the exhaust exist at idle or light part throttle application.

There should be zero raw fuel going past the piston rings in a proper function internal combustion engine. Its expected that some contaminates left over from the combustion process will find their way suspended in the oil, this is the expected result of ICE combustion. Additionally some natural blow-by, cylinder pressure that pushes oil past the rings, is not unexpected for a forced induction application. Though in a proper functioning engine will have only a trace of blow by.

Your last question is the most likely symptom, or part of the fuel system that's internal to the crankcase oil area of operation. This symptom has been discovered on all makes and models of diesels over the years.

For instance GM had an issue with this on Duramax LB7 injectors and issued extended coverage 7 years or 200k miles to warranty injector cases that would crack and release raw fuel into the crank case.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I have done a couple of UOA on my EB and it has shown consistant fuel dilution from the get go. This is a normal condition and will not go away due to it's design. There is a ton of R&D going on presently by the oil and additive companies to address this. A study I read recently in the Lubes & Greases magazine shows that using quality oils with robust additive packages will handle this and protect your engines. I have been going over 10,000 mile oil changes and the engine is wearing normally even with the dilution. The reason their is so much R&D going on for this challenge is that Ford and other OEM's are going to be using this technology in the majority of vehicles in the future.
george

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by georgedouglas
I have done a couple of UOA on my EB and it has shown consistant fuel dilution from the get go. This is a normal condition and will not go away due to it's design. There is a ton of R&D going on presently by the oil and additive companies to address this. A study I read recently in the Lubes & Greases magazine shows that using quality oils with robust additive packages will handle this and protect your engines. I have been going over 10,000 mile oil changes and the engine is wearing normally even with the dilution. The reason their is so much R&D going on for this challenge is that Ford and other OEM's are going to be using this technology in the majority of vehicles in the future.
george
The symptom may be present and consistent but it is not an expected for any engine, direct injected or not, to introduce raw fuel to the engines oil. The EB may have a particular greater number of cases or issues surrounding raw fuel in oil than most, but its certainly far from an expected result of direct injection in general. Without any doubt introducing raw fuel into oil isn't beneficial to the oil lubricity or the engine internals. There's no convolution of the issue here, as having no measurable fuel present in the oil is the preferred state.

Last edited by joemac; 05-09-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by joemac
The symptom may be present and consistent but it is not an expected for any engine, direct injected or not, to introduce raw fuel to the engines oil. The EB may have a particular greater number of cases or issues surrounding raw fuel in oil than most, but its certainly far from an expected result of direct injection in general. Without any doubt introducing raw fuel into oil isn't beneficial to the oil lubricity or the engine internals. There's no convolution of the issue here, as having no measurable fuel present in the oil is the preferred state.
What might be adding to the problem is engine braking from the transmisson when going down hill with cruise control set. I travel a lot in the hills of east Tennessee and the tranny, when using cruise control, will not let the speed increase when going down hill. It will downshift to keep the speed from exceeding the setting. The engine RPM and manifold pressure then go much higher. This could be sucking in unburned fuel vapors adding to the problem.
george

Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
glc
The engine RPM and manifold pressure then go much higher.
You mean vacuum, not pressure.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You mean vacuum, not pressure.
I meant to go back in and correct that to make it more understandable, but manifold pressure whle running is negative and in other words is at vacumm and when the engine is off it is at ambient pressure.
george

Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 AM
A fast look for on BITOG boards would indicate that it's a DI factor, not just Ecoboost. Modify the oil more often, inexpensive insurance coverage might give a little bit of help.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Why aren't other than Ford DI applications seemed plagued by this symptom to what appears at the same rate as Ford?

The core fact is it not a normal condition or engineered design into the application so that the operation of the engine introduces raw fuel into the oil.

The last DI vehicle I owned from another manufacturer with 123k miles never had any fuel introduced into the oil.

DI vehicles may be more subject to whatever the phenomenon of fuel in oil more so than others, and it appears Ford rate of symptom is averaging higher than other manufacturers.

My other DI Ford 2012 application 2.0 EB just got results back with a trace of fuel present. There was enough fuel in the oil to affect the viscosity and question the weight of the oil, as it was measured close to properties aligning with 5w-20 oil. The oil in fact was Motorcraft blend 5w-30.

The issue apparently has enough visibility where a long time trusted member on BITOG is forming a study for the 3.5 EB soliciting owners to participate.

Not making excuses for Ford or any manufacturer. If its not right, its not right. And its not right.

Last edited by joemac; 06-09-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM
glc
I'm guessing this is the reason Ford specs 5w30 for the EB instead of 5w20.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM
This is also a known issue with the Mazdaspeed 3 which I believe was Fords first dabble/test bed for DI (so I've read) . Best results were had by switching to Pennzoil Platinum full Synthetic.

Quick Reply: Fuel dilution in the oil ?