V-6 Average MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
altitude

Originally posted by "G"
I don't know how thick the mud is you guys are driving through but my 2000 4.2l reg. cab 5speed gets a consistant 23-24mph and I live at 7000 feet!!!!!!!!!
I'm not a mechanic but if car engines are like normally aspirated airplane engines, the higher the altitude, the better the gas mileage.

Old 09-09-2001, 08:32 PM
"G"
I don't know what the problem is here, I joined this site to have a good time but all I get is smartass answers so here goes mine "Kenster".......... The altitude in itself is not the issue as it relates to air density, it is however the fact of resistance to mass as it relates to it's inertia in other words THE FRIGIN TRUCK MUST CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN EVERY DAY. What is it with the people at this site? Are newcomers not welcome here? I have not received one decent reply to a single post since I joined.

Oh Kenster Iam not a "mechanic" either but Iam a fourth year physics student.

Old 09-09-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by "G"
I don't know what the problem is here, I joined this site to have a good time but all I get is smartass answers so here goes mine "Kenster".......... The altitude in itself is not the issue as it relates to air density, it is however the fact of resistance to mass as it relates to it's inertia in other words THE FRIGIN TRUCK MUST CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN EVERY DAY. What is it with the people at this site? Are newcomers not welcome here? I have not received one decent reply to a single post since I joined.

Oh Kenster Iam not a "mechanic" either but Iam a fourth year physics student.
G, your first post was:
I don't know how thick the mud is you guys are driving through but my 2000 4.2l reg. cab 5speed gets a consistant 23-24mph and I live at 7000 feet!!!!!!!!!
Now, THAT sounded pretty smart ***. My message was a simple comment of what I thought might make a difference in your terrific mileage. I am not experienced with high altitude driving, just flying. My comment was in no way a negative one. If you think you, as a newbie, are not welcome, perhaps you should check your attitude along with your altitude.

Old 09-09-2001, 09:44 PM
"G"
Kenster,

Since I have lost intrest in the Football game I'll be happy to respond. When someone copies and then reposts anothers words in the form of a quote and quip...............THATS SMARTASS.
Now, on the subject of altitude and attitude one would hope that those of us intrusted with an aircraft and with it public safety would at least have a rudimentary education in science and mathmatics........................DON'T YOU THINK?

HA, HA, HA

Last edited by "G"; 09-09-2001 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:54 PM
hey chipper, I gotta upload my pics of my basset..
she's adorable..

how's having the puppy and adult doin? is that the mother/father?

Old 09-21-2001, 12:29 AM
Wes
Account Suspended For Cross-Posting Unrelated Classified Ad
Talking 19 MPG Average on my XLT V6 Automatic!

Hi guys,
I have a 2001 F150 XLT Supercab with a V6 and an automatic transmission, I`ve had it since July 2nd, 2001, I`ve put 6,200 miles on it since I bought it, I`m averaging about 18-19mpg in town and 19-21mpg on the highway. I`m 18, and I drive like most teenagers do, however I try to take it easy on my truck and this might be one reason for the better mileage. My dad has a 2001 F150 Lariat Supercab with the 4.6 V8 and an automatic transmission, and he only averages 14 in town and (if he is lucky) 17-18 on the highway, and he is 40+ and he drives like it too! So I can tell a huge difference in the fuel economy for these two trucks. I can tell a slight difference in his truck as far as taking off the line from a stop...his has more "pin you to the seat power", but there really is not much power difference when passing, the v6 will do 60mph to 80mph in NOTHING FLAT when you floor it. So I say save the $750 and get a V6, it will leave more $$ in your pocket in the long run because it saves you gas! MY dad swears that his next truck will be a v6! Me and my dad are both very surprised at the fuel mileage I have been getting, and I love my XLT v6!! Neither of us have done any mods to our trucks. Most of the driving I do is in town (about 64.5% in town, 32.6% highway, 2.9% dirt roads to get to my house) Since I bought my truck I have averaged about 600 miles per week on it, and each time I fill it up, I calculate the mileage, last night I figured up this number.... 449 miles on 23.9 gallons of gas, thats 18.78 MPG!!!! And I`m sure that this is accurate, I always cram it to the top, till it wont hold any more gas! I always run till empty, as you can tell, I put almost 24 gallons in it last night...that pig was almost dry!)

LONG LIVE THE v6!

(My friend has a Do*ge R*M 1500 SLT Supercab with the 5.2V8 and an automatic transmission... Anyway we took a trip to the Rio Grande Valley from San Antonio (350 Miles, one way) And we both have 25 gallon fuel capacity, but he had to stop and fill up before we got there! He has the 5.2 V8 in his R*m, I`ve got the 4.2 V6 in my F150, on that trip, where we were both driving 70 - 75, in the same conditions, I got 20.8 mpg, while he got only 15.3, a few times, we got side-by-side on I37, and were going about 60mph, I floored my truck, he did the same, and we stayed right next to me, so his V8 could not out-perform MY v6!!!!.....MORAL OF THE STORY, FORD ROCKS!)

--Wesley
---San Antonio, TEXAS
----God Bless The U.S.A!!!!
-----UNITED WE STAND!!!!!

Old 09-24-2001, 08:28 PM
Post not bad

I was getting around 20 miles to the gallon this summer on my truck. But when I go to school, I usaully get around 15 miles to the gallon around the city.

Old 10-03-2001, 10:17 PM
Unhappy CRAPPY MILEAGE

My 2000 ext. cab 4.2 gets ridiculously bad gas mileage. In the city I average a little over 12 MPG. This is horrible and I accelerate like a grandma. I try to stay under 2000rpm to save gas but it still sucks it down. Do yall have any tips for me, or things I should look into getting fixed?

Old 10-11-2001, 08:08 PM
Dyersburg, TN to Atlanta

I drove my pickup with the air on and at about 65 mph from my home in Dyersburg, TN. to the far side of Atlanta on one tank of gas. It figured to be about 20 mpg. That's with a super cab and automatic. I have more sense than to check it around town. I know it isn't nearly so good there. MY truck has 100,000 miles on it and looks like new and runs better than new with the minor alterations I've made in exhaust, air filter and module. I replaced the spark plugs at 93,000 but they still looked good, I replaced the front disc pads at about 95,000. That's all.

Old 10-11-2001, 09:50 PM
skoodledwd:
If that's a v6 and you're truthfully driving that way, then yes, there is something wrong because I get that and I drive it hard and mine's an 8. Check the EGR valve first, It might be stuck which makes you burn a heck of a lot more gas. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 10-12-2001, 05:43 AM
Getting back to altitude: It is possible that the increase in altitude gives better gas milage because there is less oxygen (by volume) in the air. This leans out the mixture, causing less fuel to be burned. On the other hand, it also means you have to step on it to get it to move, causing more gas to be wasted.

I live at 7000 feet (Flagstaff, AZ.) and notice worst gas milage up here. I get about 300 miles per tank in the city (small town), or about 13.5 mpg. When I'm at sea level I get better milage driving harder and faster, like 330 miles per tank, or about 15 mpg in the city. It gets about 19 mpg highway at 80 mph with the AC on.

I'm hoping to see some milage gains from the new mods... If not, at least I'll get more power.

Mitch

Old 10-12-2001, 05:08 PM
Airplanes...

I believe that the reason jets-n-such get better "mileage" at higher altitudes is because the air is less dense, causing less drag/friction on the aircraft. There is no real concern I believe about the jet engines getting enough of "dense" air, because a jet is kinda like a big blower. It just sucks air in, compacting it for combustion, to spin the blades, and so on.

Personally, I've been pretty disappointed with my mpg and I attribute it to my lead foot. For the most part, I stay under 2k rpm's when accelerating, and floor it about 30% of the time getting onto the highway. My average mpg is usually 13-14, wich is like 60/40 city/freeway. I suppose it's not all that bad really, better than many people I know. Pure highway driving, cruising at 75mph, I get around 18. When that happens, I have a little party and drive like a bat out of hell to make up for it!

Old 10-17-2001, 03:35 PM
avg. about 21mpg

I have been averaging about 21 mpg on the highway. Driving between home and north Denver. about 75mi. one way. Usually,(depending how much I play) I get roughly 500mi out of a full tank.

Old 10-18-2001, 12:24 PM
i get about 20mpg's i have v6 4.2L 3.55 rear fm40 si/do. Since the exhaust mod, i seem to get more mileage. i drive from home to broomall, pa every monday which is about 60 miles. Some stop and go but city, its about 14-15, although i really don;t local travel that much.

Old 11-12-2001, 01:27 AM
23 mpg on my 4.6 V8 ....

I have a 99 automatic-overdrive with a 3:08 rear end ratio.

I like to do a fill-up and then get right on the freeway and go 70 miles down the road at about 70 mph. To see what I can really get I pull off at the first station and fill it up again. I have done this several times and it started out at 21.6 mpg. Then, on my way back I checked the air pressure in my tires. They specify 35psi so I bumped them up to 38psi. Guess what?!! I drove the 70 miles back home and filled it up. I got 23.02 mpg !!! But, I may bave driven a little bit more carefully on the way back. Sort of 'feathered' my gas peddle. No, quick starts and not over 75 mph. It bought me another 1.5 miles per gallon.

I intend to replace my OEM style K&N filter with a large FIPK K&N. Then I am installing a new non-restrictive Cat-Back Exhaust System. Then, I'm going to give it another try. I'll tell you guys what improvements that made.

BillVoyles

Quick Reply: V-6 Average MPG