Ecoboost Bullydog Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Install one of these & kiss your factory warranty Bye-Bye! The Ecoboost is already stressed enough.
I am one of the Ford engineers that worked on this project. The engine won't break before exceeding 650 hp. Trust me we tried

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Several years ago, there was big talk for a v-6 diesel engine for the F150, but new emissions standards and high diesel prices killed the project.
I have wondered if the EB is the product of that engine. Say the short block. Because if it was built heavy enough to stand the compression of a diesel engine, then it should last a really long time as a gas burner.
If this engine is a derivative of that prototype, it should be bullet proof as a gasser.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny Deaton
I am one of the Ford engineers that worked on this project. The engine won't break before exceeding 650 hp. Trust me we tried
Tell me more, like about how much was left on the table or what is the limit on the injectors? Typically this is the first real wall you run into on a DI motor.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Pushing the 3.5L to the max

Originally Posted by Wookie
Tell me more, like about how much was left on the table or what is the limit on the injectors? Typically this is the first real wall you run into on a DI motor.
This block is the same as a NASCAR block. The compression is high for a twin turbo. Its 11.0 to 1. But how they get away with it is when in full boost the timing is dropped back to 10 degrees before top dead center. This motor could easily be switch to diesel. All internals would with stand it. Only problem is this engine is slated to be dropped for a less cubic inch motor. It will soon be a 3.0L instead of a 3.5L . Ford is trying to get every mile to gallon as possible. I have "tuned" my own truck and rewritten the program. I have got it up to 20 in town driving and 27 mpg on the road, btw mine is a four door super crew with trailer tow package, around 5700 pounds empty. Total power output is limited by the very small Garret GT-15 turbos. I have got mine to run the turbo to run wide open on full acceleration. Its is at 440 hp with 500 foot pounds of torque. That's all you can get out of them with that turbo set up.

I am going to up grade the turbo's to GT-25's. That should easy get me into 600 hp. I am sure someone will come out with the upgrade kit soon. Fuel pressure from the tank is 60 psi then driven from the cams a high pressure pump pushes it up to 2300 psi. These blocks are extremely strong no problem there. But there are a lot of transmission issues.

When first introduced in 2011 they were twisting the front pump out of the transmission. Ford had to up grade the front pumps to with stand the 365 hp.

The only cure to be able to run 600 plus horse power is up grade the whole trans mission to a diesel transmission. Which is going to weigh more and lower the Miles per gallon due to bulk and weight. I would still like to see it be a V-6 diesel . But Ford is afraid that people will try to do with them what a F350 would handle. The F150 frame will not with stand trying to pull 25,000 pounds. Mine is rated at 11,500 pound I can pull. I have pulled 12,000 poulds with no problem but would not go any more than that. Remember the 3.5L is only a 214 cubic inch motor, but still very impressive.

Last item, I bet the new 3.0L twin turbo block will be weak as crap. We did well on the 3.5L hope they don't go cheap on the 3.0L block!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Bullydog Tuner