2011 F-150 EcoBoost Oil Change (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easier to reach in from the top and change the oil filter. You can see what you are doing. I was also able to fill the new filter half way up with oil before installing it. It's important to always put oil in the filter. Oh also dont forget to rub some oil on the rubber gasket with your finger.
reaching in from the top works for me cause I have slim arms, it's a tight squeeze but doing it underneath sucks.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Is there anyone that has the capability of posting a video of how they changed their Ecoboost oil. Picture were awesome, but I would love to see more.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This oil change looks a bit more complicated than my old 5.4. Were the factory oil filters installed by an escaped Great Ape from the local zoo like the one that came on my 5.4 from the factory? It was absolutely horrible to remove for first oil change.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
This oil change looks a bit more complicated than my old 5.4. Were the factory oil filters installed by an escaped Great Ape from the local zoo like the one that came on my 5.4 from the factory? It was absolutely horrible to remove for first oil change.
Out of 5 vehicles Ive had since 2006 this is probably worst one to change the oil. its not hard just a PITA.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Great thread with lots of info! Thanks for the pictures. I now know what to look for when my first change is due. Thanks again!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I changed the oil in the Ecoboost for the first time today at 1900 miles. I went ahead and removed the entire shroud. It was only 4 bolts, but I wanted to see clearly what is going on under there. I won't remove it next time.

I installed a Fumoto Drain Valve. to make things easier next time. However, accessing the drain plug was not hard.

The filter is in a bad place as you all know, but I was able to remove it without tools. The oil guide is a nice feature. You would spill oil with out it!! Have the drain pan in place.

I did the entire job in about 30 minutes. It should be faster next time.

I used Royal Purple filter and 5w 30. It will be interesting to see if mileage increases or stays the same as the ford products.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by cnvf250
I changed the oil in the Ecoboost for the first time today at 1900 miles. I went ahead and removed the entire shroud. It was only 4 bolts, but I wanted to see clearly what is going on under there. I won't remove it next time.

I installed a Fumoto Drain Valve. to make things easier next time. However, accessing the drain plug was not hard.

The filter is in a bad place as you all know, but I was able to remove it without tools. The oil guide is a nice feature. You would spill oil with out it!! Have the drain pan in place.

I did the entire job in about 30 minutes. It should be faster next time.

I used Royal Purple filter and 5w 30. It will be interesting to see if mileage increases or stays the same as the ford products.
royal purple doesn't even meet the HT06 Honda/accura spec for turbo engines that mobile one and pennzoil platinum do. you wasted your money on it.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Did my first change yesterday. after Jacking up the truck and looking under the truck I was lost. I started to pry off the large shield cover in the center of the skid plate and got it off, broke the clips that hold it on in the process. I found nothing in there and wonder why its there anyway? Long story short, I got online and found this thread. It showed me how to do it. Thank you OP for posting with pics. I think this is my 4th change. One complementary change from the dealer and 2 at Kwik Kar. That was a mistake. Dont ever take Ecoboost to kwik kar. Either take it to a dealer service center or learn to do it yourself. after this experience, I will do it myself from now on. I used Mobile 1 and a K&N filter. Ill have to go to the dealer to get new clips for putting that plate back on though.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I also did not have the rubber covers over the 2 holes. Makes me think that Kwik Kar just left them off

Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Great write up. It helped. Sometimes you wonder about designers! While I was underneath, I found the source of a nagging rattle. The metal shield bolts were loose!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Crawling under mine when I get home from work this afternoon... excellent write-up. Thanks again for your contribution to the community!

-RP-

Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the write-up. I wish I'd seen this before I changed my oil - it would have saved me a lot of time removing/installing the pans....

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the write up.....very well done and it will save me considerable time tomorrow doing my first oil change on my 2012 XLT. May save me from a few choice words also!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a way to really save time.........Went to my Ford dealer and for $39.00 i had a complete service......no appointment, no waiting.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Oil weight

Originally Posted by RSchnier
Today was the day I decided to change the oil in my '11 XLT EcoBoost for the first time

OK, so draining the old oil is pretty standard once you have the access cover off. ....... For the new filter, I used a Motorcraft FL-500S per the latest recommendations from Ford (and elsewhere in this forum). Six quarts of Mobil-1 0W-30 synthetic and the job was done. Started up the engine and looked at the rear side of the filter from underneath, to verify there were no leaks: And that's that. Hope this is useful to others.

- Randy
I thought the recommended oil was 5W-30 for the Ecoboost engine??

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 EcoBoost Oil Change (with pics)