Need help figuring out a sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help figuring out a sensor

Changing out the 4.2L V6 engine in a 1997 Ford F150 2x4.. All has gone very well, but of course there have been a couple of screw ups. My question....I broke off a sensor and am not sure which one it is. I will describe what I am facing.

When pulling the old motor, I had not unplugged a connector that is routed down the front of the motor, past the crank position sensor. So, when the engine came out, I see the wire harness dangling with a white connector still plugged into it, but no sensor and I can't seem to find where it came off. If you trace the wire I am talking about, you follow the wires down the front of the motor to the crank position sensor, then the wiring harness continues on past that sensor about another 14 inches and terminates with a two prong female connector. This connector had a white male connector still plugged into it and this white connector obviously had snapped off of something. I have crawled under the truck and looked around, but don't really see what it came off.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have it figured out. Took the broken connector to a Ford dealer during lunch. There was a number on it (7609G) and the guy said it is the knock sensor, which apparently is located someplace on the passenger side of the block, near the motor mount. Did not see it and must have bumped the motor mount lifting the engine out. Oh well, looks to be a $100 mistake based on Advance Auto pricing. This dealer didn't have the part in stock, so I didn't make my purchase there, though after his help I would have forked over the extra money to buy his part.

Quick Reply: Need help figuring out a sensor