New EcoBoost Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jntibs
Have you ever looked at the cost of a Motorcraft filter? (NOT at a dealer) They are usually priced the same or cheaper than the Fram counterpart, at least that was the case on the FL-820S. Not sure about the FL-500S.
No. To be totally honest, I haven't changed my own oil on a 4 wheeler in about 5 - 7 years. As I get older, I tend to let the oil changing go to others and let them decide what goes on the vehicle. I only tell them what kind of oil I want them to use (always fully synthetic). I'm changing oil this time because it is only at 1,000 miles, just before a 1,000 + mile trip pulling a travel trailer and I want to get a good look at what is under there. I'll probably not do it again, unless it is real easy to get to and I enjoy it.

I always changed the oil on my Goldwings, it is just too easy to DIY rather than pay someone to do it. I used the Walmart brand filters on them, unless the Honda filters were on sale. But, I always used Mobil 1, 4T racing oil (fully synthetic, of course).

I'll keep the Motorcraft filters in mind though, that's if I change my oil myself in the future. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Have fun changing the oil on that EB - getting at the drain plug and filter is not the easiest thing in the world.

I agree with what's been said about Fram filters. They are the "orange can of death".

Old 11-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Have fun changing the oil on that EB - getting at the drain plug and filter is not the easiest thing in the world.
??? It's not bad at all. The only extra part to get to the drain plug is the shield over the trans. It is held on by 4 quick turn screws that don't even require tools to remove. The filter only has an extra soft rubber seal that is held on with 1/4 turns. It *might* take me an extra 2 minutes to change the oil in my EB compared to a 5.4L.

Quick Reply: New EcoBoost Oil Filter