Extended warranty yes/no

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not get an extended warranty.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything and have never regretted it. I don't recall an instance when I would have ever used it. The extended warranties are one of the biggest sources of income for the dealers and auto manufacturers. Having said that, if I were buying an EB, I would have to think about it very hard. I have a feeling that those engines in these trucks are going to have some problems.
My Inlaws own a 2004 Nissan Titan pickup truck that has low miles and was just out of warrenty when they were pulling their 7,000 travel trailer and a wireharness that is run over the top of the head shield over the exhaust melted from the exhaust getting too high, ended up frying several of the onboard computers and causing just over $5000 in repairs.

Not to mention the rental trucks that had to be rented to get the travel trailer 6 hours home.

If they had an extended bumper-to-bumper warrenty it would have been covered.

That said, I believe that to have been a fluke and or just a bad design by Nissan and not 'normal' for all applications. However, a $1200 warrenty would have saved them thousands of $$ in repair costs.

It doesn't take much especially at the rates dealers charge to get to $1200 for 1 repair. So if you use the warrenty once it's worth it.

Especially on a 1st model year run and with all the new electronics, I really think a 10/100k warrenty is a good idea.

I didn't purchase it with my truck because the lowest the dealer would go was $1400. I'll purchase one before my factory warrenty runs out.

-ThaChad

Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 AM
No I would NOT recommend the warrenty, my brothers truck has 60,000 miles on it and the engine locked up and has two extended warranties and Ford would not honor any of them nor would the extended warranties. This is wrong and they just want to line their pockets, he has the oil changed every 6,000 miles and hardly drives the truck due to his health. It is show room ready and this happens and they won't stand behind their product. Cost him over 5,000 dollars to replace the engine out of pocket. So save your money

Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by grammie54
No I would NOT recommend the warrenty, my brothers truck has 60,000 miles on it and the engine locked up and has two extended warranties and Ford would not honor any of them nor would the extended warranties. This is wrong and they just want to line their pockets, he has the oil changed every 6,000 miles and hardly drives the truck due to his health. It is show room ready and this happens and they won't stand behind their product. Cost him over 5,000 dollars to replace the engine out of pocket. So save your money
So these extended warranties were not from Ford I take it? Or had he modded the truck and they voided the warranty. Ford honors their warranties so something is funny here.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
glc
Received 765 Likes on 708 Posts
Yep, something is not being said here.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by ThaChad
My Inlaws own a 2004 Nissan Titan pickup truck that has low miles and was just out of warrenty when they were pulling their 7,000 travel trailer and a wireharness that is run over the top of the head shield over the exhaust melted from the exhaust getting too high, ended up frying several of the onboard computers and causing just over $5000 in repairs.

Not to mention the rental trucks that had to be rented to get the travel trailer 6 hours home.

If they had an extended bumper-to-bumper warrenty it would have been covered.

That said, I believe that to have been a fluke and or just a bad design by Nissan and not 'normal' for all applications. However, a $1200 warrenty would have saved them thousands of $$ in repair costs.
Kind of doesn't follow the thread. Just because Nissan makes a POS doesn't mean a Ford will break,, any more than if Ford made a POS the Nissan would break.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'd say wait until around 2.5 years or 30k miles... see how the truck is... if you feel ok with it and it's not giving you problems, then I'd be leery about an extended warranty... also look around online for the Ford ESP. You can get it for a lot less than $2100 for sure.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
Kind of doesn't follow the thread. Just because Nissan makes a POS doesn't mean a Ford will break,, any more than if Ford made a POS the Nissan would break.
Uhh, doesn't really have to do with brand. I just mentioned the brand to disclose all information.

Could happen to ANY brand. Hopefully ford or any other brand isn't dumb enough to run wire harnesses above the exhaust heat shield but there's alot of wires in all vehicals and could happen to any of them.

My point is things like this happen and an extended warrenty would cover stuff like this (Typically).

I guess it's more of a how much cash flow does one have? That decideds if an extended warrenty is a good idea. Personally I don't want to have any unexpected costs on a new vehical untill after it's payed off. Which means I want my warrenty threw my loan period. In my case atleast 6 years.

-ThaChad

Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I bought a true Ford ESP here: http://www.fordwarrantys.com/. It is the 7 year / 100,000 mile premium care with the $50 deductible and it only cost me $1300. They are an actual Ford dealer, so there is no worry about shady warranties. It covers everything except consumable parts like brake disks, oil, etc... It is actually an exclusionary warranty meaning that it covers everything except those items specifically listed in the contract.

I will gladly pay $1300 to cover absolutely everything on the truck for 7/100,000. That's less than 5% of the purchase price. You may never use it, but you be kicking yourself if any major components fail. Even some small things that you would never think of can cost a bundle to fix. Well worth it in my opinion.

I'm not sure I would spend over $2000 though.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have never bought one on any product, never will. The money saved will pay for any repair.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I bought one on a 2004 Mustang GT Convertible that I bought in 2007, and paid $1,500 IIRC (not a Ford ESP, in fact it was a Toyota Care warranty, since I bought the 'stang at a Toyota dealer). In the first 3 months, it paid for half of itself with a new A/C compressor. A year later, and it paid for the rest of itself with a new throwout bearing. Then, a week later, it paid for itself AGAIN when 3 of the 4 main bearings in the transmission (manual) went out.

That was on a used car - with new cars, I've bought them, but cancelled them when I got rid of the car before it expired, and they gave me back the pro-rated amount of the extended warranty.

I'm getting a 2011 Lariat EcoBoost next week, and I doubt I'll buy it. I put around 15k miles a year on my vehicles, and if I'm already having major problems by the time the factory warranty expires, I'll just get rid of the truck and get something else to replace it.

Just my $.02

-John

Old 10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The sale of warranties is a high profit center for dealerships. That is why they push them so hard. There are studies out there that show it is wasted money in the long run. I have been buying new vehicles since 1965 and have never had an occasion where a warranty would have paid a dime. I have had two occasions where the vehicle had problems covered under the manufacturor's warranty and that is it.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
In 2003, I bought a used 2001 F150 crew cab. Against the 'advice' of my friends, I paid the $1000 to make it a 'Certified Used Vehicle' which basically meant that it had the 7/100000 warranty. A few years later at ~30,000 miles (Factory warranty time expired), the transmission failed and was replaced for only the $50 deductible. Part and labor cost would have been just shy of $3000... So yes, they can and do pay off. The odds are that you may not need it, but that's a gamble that I don't want to take.

I also have the benefit of seeing it from an insiders perspective. My father is a used car mechanic at a Ford dealership and has been there for over 25 years. Knowing the types of failures and repair costs, even he buys the warranty every single time he gets a new Ford, and he is able to do all the repairs himself with no labor costs! He has told me stories of out of warranty vehicles (F150's included) that have had part and labor costs exceed $6-7k. New motors, transmissions, computers, etc... In some models, a some stupid fix like a sunroof motor can cost over $3000 because of the amount of crap they need to remove to get to it. He sees this stuff every day.

I also have a few close family friends that work at different Ford dealerships in southern California. These are the type of people I can trust without question. They told me that the dealer cost for a premium care 7 years / 100,000 mile warranty is about $1000-1200 ford almost all vehicle models in Fords line-up. Yes, it is usually marked up like crazy if you don't shop around and research things. One of the salesman just sold a lady a warranty for $3500 for a Focus... Dealer cost was ~$900. If she had spent a hour online, she could have found the same warranty for about $1200.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 PM
$2100 way to much for a Ford ESP warranty. PM me. I sell them

Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with extended warranties is they cover so little. They have too many exclusions to make them worthwhile.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty yes/no