Factory Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory Warranty

I've got a question about factory warranties...
How do all of these modifications discussed in these forums affect the factory and or extended warranty on my truck.
Specifically:
1)Superchips
2)Cat-back exhaust

I purchased an extended warranty on my truck when I bought it and I don't want that extra money to go to waste if I do some of these mods. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Paul D.

------------------
98 F150 Supercab XLT 4.2L
Oxford White
Mods:
K&N Filter
Steel Horse Billet Grille
Window Tint
Future Mods:
Superchip, Catback Exhaust, Interior Wood Trim Kit, Roll Top Tonneau Cover

Old 09-10-2000, 05:55 PM
Here's what mine says:
"What is not covered:" Repairs needed to any engine, transmission and final drive components caused by an aftermarket-installed turbocharger/supercharger.

Old 09-10-2000, 06:05 PM
I found this on a web site a few months ago, I hope this will help you.

Federal law prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty just because you are using aftermarket speed equipment, with only two exceptions: the warranty can be voided if the aftermarket part causes damage, or adversely affects the emissions or the emissions system. In recent documents produced by the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association ), a trade association representing specialty automotive parts manufacturers, the following quotes have been extracted:
"The vehicle manufacturer is not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket equipment is installed on the vehicle. This protection for consumers is the result of a parts self certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

"Under the program, if a parts maker completes the EPA process of self-certifying its parts, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty even if the certified part has failed and is directly responsible for the warranty claim. In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the part manufacturer, but the new vehicle warrant is not void under the law.

"If the failure to honor a claim involves the new-vehicle warranty, and it appears that the manufacturer is improperly denying a claim, the incident should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC is responsible for monitoring compliance with the warranty law; the agency's telephone number is 202/326-3128."

------------------
99 F-150 4.2L
True duals W/Magnaflows
Jacobs Ignition
K&N filtercharger
Custom programed chip
throttle body spacer
ported&polished throttle body
ported mass air flow sensor
Black Magic electric fan
Belltech rear sway bar

Old 09-11-2000, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 98Super4Point2,

Good question, and some good responses!

Just so you will all know, the specific law that covers automakers warranties is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It is a lengthy piece of legislation (but then, what legislation isn't lengthy?), but basically it states that the automaker must *prove* that the aftermarket part in question was the sole cause of a related parts failure, and that had the aftermarket part not been installed, the related parts would not have failed. that is very strong protection, and it means that it all gets down to this: does the part or parts you're thinking of installing do actual damage to your vehicle? And as long as they don't, then your warranty remains intact, by law.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a very nice set of what we call "fair-play rules", that protect both the consumer *and* the automaker.

Here is a link that will take you right to SEMA's web site (this web site is a member of SEMA!) so you can get a better feel for this:
Http://www.sema.org/fedleg/warranty

And to more directly answre your question, no, neither the Superchip nor the cat-back exhaust are going to void your warranty.

By the way, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act covers not only aftermarket performance parts, but also aftermarket general replacement parts, like brake pads & wiper blades, and even aftermarket appearance parts, and the standard is the same for all; does the part actually cause damage, and if it doesn't, then your warranty remains in full force, by law.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 09-11-2000, 11:22 PM
Thumbs up

I appreciate the responses gents! You have helped to put my mind at ease about going through with these mods. hehe... Now all I need is the cash to pull them off.

Just curious though... has anyone out there had a problem with getting warranty work done because of any aftermarket modifications done on their vehicles?

------------------
98 F150 Supercab XLT 4.2L
Oxford White
Mods:
K&N Filter
Steel Horse Billet Grille
Window Tint
Future Mods:
Superchip, Catback Exhaust, Interior Wood Trim Kit, Roll Top Tonneau Cover

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty