I need help with my 96 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with my 96 F-150

I have a 96 F-150 with the 4.9 V6. The old truck is tough as nails but it has a problem that simply has me lost. Previously, the check engine light was on and read the oxygen sensors were bad. I replaced all 3 of them and the light is now off, but the problem I was having is still there. The truck starts and runs like it is brand new, but after the engine gets hot, and you shut it down, it seems like it is flooding when trying to restart it. Example, I can drive it to the store, go in for a bout 10 or q15 minutes, come back out and when I try to start it, it sputs and spatters and acts and SMELLS like it is flooded to death. After a few tries, it will finally take off and it begins to run perfect again. Anyone have any ideas ???????????????????? Only does this after the engine gets hot or it has been driven for a few minutes.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:33 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You don't have a V-6, you have an inline 6.

You probably have leaky fuel injectors. Try injector cleaner - Techron is the best.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, it is the inline 6. I have already run 1 bottle through it. Any other suggestions ?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by rdmcfall
I have a 96 F-150 with the 4.9 V6. The old truck is tough as nails but it has a problem that simply has me lost. Previously, the check engine light was on and read the oxygen sensors were bad. I replaced all 3 of them and the light is now off, but the problem I was having is still there. The truck starts and runs like it is brand new, but after the engine gets hot, and you shut it down, it seems like it is flooding when trying to restart it. Example, I can drive it to the store, go in for a bout 10 or q15 minutes, come back out and when I try to start it, it sputs and spatters and acts and SMELLS like it is flooded to death. After a few tries, it will finally take off and it begins to run perfect again. Anyone have any ideas ???????????????????? Only does this after the engine gets hot or it has been driven for a few minutes.
It sounds like the trucks running rich.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by rdmcfall
This is a fuel injected motor right?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tory4
This is a fuel injected motor right?
96 has to be cause my 94 inline 6 is fuel injected, think they went to fuel injection in 1986ish???

Quick Reply: I need help with my 96 F-150