2000 4.2L F150 mechanical questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4.2L F150 mechanical questions

First off I remember finding a diagram about a year ago on how to disassemble the steering column. The reason I need to do this, is well because my turning signal and brake lights that make contact inside the column aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing. So I wanted to either replace the wire completely or extend the wire so that it has enough length to make contact wherever I may tilt to.

I believe this is a common problem in this model year of the f150 so I've been told. I was wondering if you guys could offer me a bit of knowledge on the subject.

My other question will come at a later time since I need to grab my service code from my truck. A little fill in on that matter whenever I go to start my truck it idles like crap. Rough idle around 400-600 and if I don't feather the gas it will die out. I've been told it's the Idle Air Control valve but I looked into it and I'm positive 100% of those people only have rough starts when they are in cold weather mine happens all year. I believe the code may be something to do with my intake and vacuum who knows I'm not the most knowledgible car enthusiast by any means.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
codes come to be P0171 and P0174 running lean on bank 1 and 2. Been playing hell with this thing trying to get it fixed. I'm guessing a vacuum leak, going to try some carb cleaner to see if I can get it to perk up. Who knows any help is appreciated.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The most common vacuum leak is in the PCV system. Trace those hoses from the valve to the intake manifold.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM
just like GLC said, PCV valve, Egr valve, or the hoses and tubing that goes to them. I replaced my vacuum hoses a few months back with the same trouble codes.

Note that they may seem fine but if you actually take them out and take a good look at them you might find hairline cracks in them. Good luck let me know if you want pictures.

Quick Reply: 2000 4.2L F150 mechanical questions