99 f150 xl heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f150 xl heat problem

My truck has given me no problems what so ever until now. A few days ago, I could not get the heat to come on in my truck and it was about 20 degrees outside. Yesterday it was 70 degrees outside and I could not get the air to come on, only heat would come out (no matter where the **** was positioned in relations to hot or cold). Today it was back to about 15 degrees when I got up, and there was no heat at all. Even turning it on and off a few times did not work. Does this sound like a typical heating element problem? Is there anything I should check first before getting this looked at? I have heard that the heating core is a very expensive fix because of the fact they have to break down the dash to get to it. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Robert

I forgot to mention before that yesterday it would blow hot air even though it was 70 outside and I had the **** on cold, but if I turned it off and twisted the **** back and forth a few times, it would blow cold air for about 5 minutes and then would automatically switch back to heat on its own (even though the **** was still on cold). Today I could not get the heat to come on at all, even though the temp guage showed the truck warmed up.

Edit: There is no fog coming out of the vents when I try to turn the heat on, so I dont know for sure if this is a heater core problem. No smell of antifreeze either.

Last edited by rbarwic1; 12-15-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Ok I checked out the thermostat, and found that the truck was not overheating at all, nor was it taking a long time to heat up. The upper radiator hose was hot, which means the coolant is circulating and the thermostat is open. I assume this is normal.

Overall, still cannot get any heat...any ideas?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
have you checked for a vacuum leak

Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I checked for a vacuum leak, but did not find anything out of the ordinary. Since the blend door was broken that is something that I am going to have to fix anyway as soon as the part arrives. If it is not the problem, I will be posting back on here for any other ideas. If it is for sure the problem, I will post back on here anyway to let you guys know. Thanks so much!

Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I had a similar problem on my 99 XL. Turned out the temp **** was slipping on its shaft! I just changed the ****, and everything works fine now.

Ya gotta love those simple fixes!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ExTex
I had a similar problem on my 99 XL. Turned out the temp **** was slipping on its shaft! I just changed the ****, and everything works fine now.

Ya gotta love those simple fixes!
This also happened to my '99 XL. I glued the cracked **** several years ago and it's worked ever since ...

Quick Reply: 99 f150 xl heat problem