Flushing the coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
If you want to be fussy, when you are through flushing, drain both the radiator and block and use distilled water with your coolant.
Is it necessary to cut the heater hose and insert the "tee"?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 AM
glc
Received 765 Likes on 708 Posts
If you are going to use that kit, yes, and then you just cap the tee when done. However, I have seen it done slightly differently - I've seen techs disconnect the heater hose at either the firewall or the engine and connect a length of hose to the fitting, and use that and the removed hose on the 2 legs of the tee - then removed and put back when done.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Distilled water is also preferred, because it has less contaminants in it. The minerals in your local water supply can add to the problem of electrolysis in your cooling system and breaking the radiator down with ionized particles.
It can shorten the life of your engine significantly. Always use distilled water.IMO

Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If you are going to use that kit, yes, and then you just cap the tee when done. However, I have seen it done slightly differently - I've seen techs disconnect the heater hose at either the firewall or the engine and connect a length of hose to the fitting, and use that and the removed hose on the 2 legs of the tee - then removed and put back when done.
Sounds easier to cut the hose and then tee. I just need to be sure which hose. There are two and they run parallel. One hose goes down to the engine and the other goes down to some metal "Y" pipe?

Also I cant locate the drain plug for the "block". Would it be just as sufficient to unplug the bottom hose for the reservoir tank?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
glc
You need to figure out which hose is inlet and which is outlet. The instructions will tell you which to connect to - I don't remember offhand.

To tell which is which, start the truck cold and make sure the HVAC is completely OFF. The hose that gets warm first is the inlet.

Pulling the bottom hose still doesn't drain the block.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by glc
To tell which is which, start the truck cold and make sure the HVAC is completely OFF. The hose that gets warm first is the inlet.
I will do this tommorrow.

Also what does the drain block look like?

Are there any alternatives to draining it?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM
glc
The only alternative that I'd consider is following the fill instructions that come with the kit. As I remember, you mount the tee as high as you can, and leave the cap off the tee when filling the system through the degas bottle. Water will start coming out the tee, when it starts turning color, put the cap back on the tee.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The only alternative that I'd consider is following the fill instructions that come with the kit. As I remember, you mount the tee as high as you can, and leave the cap off the tee when filling the system through the degas bottle. Water will start coming out the tee, when it starts turning color, put the cap back on the tee.
Are the hoses that you were referring to A/C? If so I didnt notice any temperture difference. The sizes on them are 5/8 and the other 13/32? I will just go to the dealer and have them point out which I should slice.

I also have a 04 4.2. Is 50/50 Prestone(green color) sufficient? The sticker on my res. tank says no "orange" yet has a photo of "yellow"(color).

Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TXhustla
Are the hoses that you were referring to A/C? If so I didnt notice any temperture difference. The sizes on them are 5/8 and the other 13/32? I will just go to the dealer and have them point out which I should slice.

I also have a 04 4.2. Is 50/50 Prestone(green color) sufficient? The sticker on my res. tank says no "orange" yet has a photo of "yellow"(color).
i learned that more water cools better so if you live down south doing like 70/30 will be better (and more cost efficient) because that $13 or so you are paying for 50/50 is water. just buy pure anti-freeze and distill yourself

Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
i learned that more water cools better so if you live down south doing like 70/30 will be better (and more cost efficient) because that $13 or so you are paying for 50/50 is water. just buy pure anti-freeze and distill yourself
Im not really concerend about the price of 50/50. I just want to be sure it is done correct. Resulting in my A/C getting colder. Should two jugs of antifreeze and one 50/50, do the trick?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
My Ford dealer sends out monthly service specials....about two months ago they had coolant flush specials for $89.00.

I had it done. What is your milage? If I'm not mistaken, the 04 to 08's are recommended to have this done by 75K; sooner if the truck is used under "heavy load" conditions such as towing, etc.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by STXbucko
My Ford dealer sends out monthly service specials....about two months ago they had coolant flush specials for $89.00.

I had it done. What is your milage? If I'm not mistaken, the 04 to 08's are recommended to have this done by 75K; sooner if the truck is used under "heavy load" conditions such as towing, etc.
98k miles. Its an 04, just the old body style. I never hauled anything. Im just sure it is time for a change..

Old 08-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by STXbucko
if i had some extra cash i would do that. they quoted me ~$130 and a whole day

Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
glc
Are the hoses that you were referring to A/C?
No - HEATER hoses.

Coolant flush will not make your A/C get any colder.

If I were you, I'd spend the money and get it professionally done, with long life orange coolant. I had mine done by an independent garage.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by glc
No - HEATER hoses.

Coolant flush will not make your A/C get any colder.

If I were you, I'd spend the money and get it professionally done, with long life orange coolant. I had mine done by an independent garage.
I only see one (large)hose that says anything pretaining to "A/C". But there is another hose right next to it that just states the measurements. Im not sure if this is the heater? I just want to be sure I slice the correct one. Do you got a photo of any F150 that has all ready been cut and tee inserted?

Also on my reservoir tank it has a photo of orange coolant, with a "X" through it. Yet it has an open circle for the yellow coolant. Should I not pay attention to this???

Quick Reply: Flushing the coolant?