bad news today

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad news today

1997 f-150 4.2l v-6 107,000 miles on it when you first start it all is ok. after 20 min or so, when you come to a stop, you loose oil pressure and start to get a little rap tat tat. as long as you are driving, all is well, but if you deceleratedown to 5-10 mph, or come to a stop, oil pressure goes to zero and oil light comes on. took it to a friend of mine and he said start looking to get a replacement engine as main bearing is starting to rap a little. he says to put a 20 weight oil in it and see how long it last me. couple of years maybe. he said, if i tear it down and if i have to replace all that has gone bad, i might as well put a rebuilt in it or a used one. what does everyone think? art

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
I had the same problem out of a 1979 F150 with a 351 in it. I replaced the rear main seal and it fixed the problem. May not help in your case though as I am sure things change.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
cant make any suggestions on what is wrong... but i can say... that if u can afford it... trade it off for a new one... or diffrent one... casue u said it was fine at start up but after 20 mins... it does this.... thus to say it only does it when its warm... so take it to a dealer and trade it off when it is cold... i mean they will start it and maybe drive it to see if all is well... they wont drive it for 20 mins so u should be good... then when they try to sell it and the guy who is wanting to buy it sees it is doing this... then he will ask the dealer about it... the dealer will call u and all you have to say is i never had that problem... and they cant do anything else to you.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
stealer abuse

Have no problems with the dealer part, but would feel sorry for the poor guy they sold the truck to.

ss

Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by SaintStephen
Have no problems with the dealer part, but would feel sorry for the poor guy they sold the truck to.

ss
well noone in his right mind would buy it without driving it... so im sure they would notice it... and the dealer would never be abel to sell it... unless for dirt cheep... but yeah i understand you caring about the guy that buys it...

Quick Reply: bad news today