Oxygen Sensor removal tips/tricks and voltage specs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen Sensor removal tips/tricks and voltage specs?

97 4.2
Does anyone know what the voltage specs should be on the upstream / front o2 sensors? One place in my Haynes manual says the voltage between the Signal and ground should be steady while the truck runs in closed loop as it is warming up, somewhere else it says there should be no voltage while it is warming up. Does anyone know? I think mine is shot...plugs on driver side are carboned up and I am getting a varying range .10-.85 volts as soon as I start it from cold.

Also, does anyone have any tips or trick to remove the driver side front oxygen sensor? I have tried hot and cold and tons of penetrating oil with the o2 sensor socket and can't get it to budge. There is really no room to get any leverage on it.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Oh, they are sometimes a PITA... I got mine out on my Dakota with some PB Blaster and using a pair of small vise grips.

Don't worry about screwing anything up either... it's really, really hard to mess something like that up. So use all the force/hammering that is necessary.

I'd actually recommend tapping it a few times with a hammer.

Another piece of advice... make sure that you put some antiseize on the threads of the new o2 sensor... makes like more grand next time you need to pull it.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor removal tips/tricks and voltage specs?