Question about replacing radiator hoses.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about replacing radiator hoses.

I've never replaced the radiator hoses on my 99 F150. I don't see any leaks, but after 8 years, it's probably time to change them. Is it pretty straightforward? It looks easy and i want to try it but i'm no mechanic. Is there a certain order of removing the hoses i should focus on? Any tips? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
start with the lower, and have a large drain pan under it.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 AM
The coolant is fairly new. Do i need to replace it? Should i buy OEM hoses or are there aftermarket hoses that might be better?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Why replace them for the sake of replacing them, especially the cost of the bottom hose, I believe it's expensive. If they are in good shape, leave em, but if you do change them, re-install with a Tridon screw tight clamp as the factory pinch ones are a pain. Also, for the cost of new anti-freeze, hook up with some new stuff, why not.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 AM
I agree with BLUE. Don't go trying to fix something that isn't broken, especially if you're not mechanically inclined.

IF you've decided to replace the hoses anyway, make sure you get new clamps to secure them. Also, make sure you have a razor blade or boxcutter handy. If the hoses are frozen in place, slit the hose at the connection being sure not to gouge the metal underneath, and then peel it away. DO NOT try to use pliers to twist them off or you can damage the connector VERY easily.

Don't get cheap hoses, either. The stock ones lasted this long, so you don't want to spend all that time and money on a new one that's going to give you a headache down the road. Buy OEM or at least a decent name brand like Goodyear.

Also, if you're still set on doing this, be sure to replace ALL the hoses that carry coolant. I'm new to the F-150 world, but on my last car, there were two radiator hoses, two pre-bent hoses to the heater core (bulk hose wouldn't work) and two very small hoses that went into and out of the throttle body.

Last, be sure to refill the system properly. There's no point in doing all this work if you're just going to fill it back up from the garden hose. Flush the system first with a commercial flush kit and then flush with DISTILLED water when you're done (I'd do it twice to be sure). Find out what you're cooling system capacity is, divide it in half, and add that ammount of new (undiluted) coolant. Then top off with distilled water.

The reason for using distilled water is that it's basically condensed steam. It doesn't carry any of the chlorine, minerals, or any other nasties that your local water supply has in it. Those minerals and compounds will eventually fall out of soultion in your cooling system and leave a chalky white residue in the water passages and hoses.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Oh, and make sure to contain all of the spent coolant and flush chemicals and recycle them properly (most parts stores or quick lubes will be happy to do this).

Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I read somewhere that after 5 years, the hoses should be replaced, because the hoses may look fine on the outside, but on the inside, they may be falling apart. But since there aren't any leaks, i'll let it go for now. At least i know now how to replace them when the time comes.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by bob1
because the hoses may look fine on the outside, but on the inside, they may be falling apart.
A hose will let you know when it's in trouble. Just give them a good feel when you do your oil changes. If you see any bulges or feel any abnormally soft spots, then that's a red flag.

A hose is basically a few layers of rubber with some reinforcing material sandwiched inbetween. If it begins to "fall apart", it'll probably let you know WELL in advance.

Quick Reply: Question about replacing radiator hoses.