Replacement engine oil dipstick (broken tip)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement engine oil dipstick (broken tip)

I have a 97 4.2 engine. The end of the dipstick broke off (either when the engine hydrolocked or during reassembly). From what I've been reading you can't get a new tip or dipstick without purchasing a new (improved) dipstick w/tube. It also seems like most everyone is getting the new dipstick & tube from the dealer. Has anyone been able to just replace the tip, or buy a new dipstick without the tube? Would you trust a used one from a junk yard, or one of the universal ones from autozone?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm sure you can get the stick without the tube from the dealer. It should cost around $30.00

Old 05-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by dreamsr
I'm sure you can get the stick without the tube from the dealer. It should cost around $30.00
Thanks, but I called one dealer & at first he said I could buy just the dip stick (for around $18.00). After he looked up the part numbers he said I would need to buy the new/modified tube & dipstick (a little over $50.00 after tax). Just about everyone that has posted about the dipstick replacement have indicated that they purchased the new tube/dipstick combo from a dealer.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Maybe a salvage yard. I couldn't find one though. I have the sam eissue with my 97. I decided to just get the whole assembly from dealer, and I will...

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I ordered one from the dealer. I'm going to have them install it since they're resealing the front engine cover and oil pan on my freshly rebuilt and leaky 4.2. This engine rebuild was just a little bit more than the mechanic that rebuilt it was able to handle.

Quick Reply: Replacement engine oil dipstick (broken tip)