Power stutter & service engine soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power stutter & service engine soon

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 F150 w/around 66k miles on it and I'm having a growing problem w/the vehicle. When I'm driving down the road I'm getting periodic power hiccups (almost like a series of power stutters).

The Service Engine Soon light hadn't come on in the past as the problem was minimal and sporadic (for example, on a 200 mile trip it would only happen for a few seconds and only 2-3 times during the entire trip).

However, this morning it lasted the entire trip on the way to work (about 14 miles) and the Service Engine Soon light came on for the first time.

Here's a little history. When I first bought the vehicle back in '03 we took a road trip. I first felt it when we were at high altitudes only. I just chalked it up to the thin air. However, over time it's progressively gotten worse. It was fairly bad this winter with the cold air and has been more and more frequent since then.

I changed the fuel and air filter last week and added a bottle of Berryman's Chemtool along with 17gal of 89 octane fuel (I usually run 87) in the tank. I then took a long road trip and burned through the entire tank. I only felt it stutter once on the entire round trip and it was a very minimal stutter at that. However, now that I've gone thru the tank, the problem is back and has gotten worse.

Any ideas and a ballpark estimate of what it would cost to fix it?

Thanks a ton!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Nobody has any info on this?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Get the code checked........

Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I guess I should have been a little more clear. The SES light was coming on during that drive to work (it was really flickering more than staying on solid), but it hasn't come on since then. So I don't know if there would be a code to check?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Shodin
I guess I should have been a little more clear. The SES light was coming on during that drive to work (it was really flickering more than staying on solid), but it hasn't come on since then. So I don't know if there would be a code to check?

The computer stores the fault codes for a minimum of 40 drive cycles unless reset. Go get the codes read regardless of whether the light is currently on.

Until you identify the cause of the problem, it is impossible to provide an informed estimate of what it would cost to fix. You might get by with something as simple as cleaning your MAF sensor.

Steve

Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Okay, thanks. What can I expect something like that to cost? (as you might have noticed I'm a little strapped for cash ATM)

Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Carefully Clean the MAF and Disconnect the Battery

Clean your MAF and disconnect the battery for a while in order to clear the codes in order to cure the stuttering problem.

I think there are posted instructions on how to do this one one or more of the forums.

The SES light may be related to a failed sensor of some sort. Oxygen maybe and relatively easy/inexpensive to replace yourself.

Please post your results, not just your problems.

Trending Topics

Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Auto Zone and Advance Auto will read the codes for you free.

Quick Reply: Power stutter & service engine soon