rear main leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear main leak

Well guys I had the 4.2 replaced in my 2000 F150 in November with a reman Jasper motor with warranty. I changed the oil after 500 miles per their instructions. I noticed some dampness at the rear of the motor and front of the transmission (5 spd manual) at this oil change so I cleaned it off very well and to see if it is really leaking. Well I just changed it 3000 miles later (3500 miles total on reman engine 3yr 75k mile warranty). It is definitely leaking, not much, but you can wipe it off with your finger and tell it is motor oil. I think out of the rear main seal. It is collecting at the bottom of that thin piece of metal between the tranny and motor, I guess it is a spacer. There is no noticeable drop in oil level.

How much of a concern is this? I am going to take it back to the shop who did the work to have it documented but I am betting they will say it is no big deal.

Leaks are pet peeve of mine so it kind of drives me nuts.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Well if it is the rear main seal it is a pretty big deal.

To start it will not get better only worse so eventually the oil will get onto the clutch and cause problems there such as a burning oil smell and clutch slippage issues.

Then after a while it will fail leading to a serious enough oil loss that the motor could possibly lock up.

I would bring it to the shop that did the work and atleast get it documented, then call Jasper and see what they are willing to do about it as far as paying the labor cost etc. to have it fixed.

If you come up empty and noone is willing to do something about it I would still have it fixed. If the rear main is leaking after only 500 miles it won't last another 10K before it lets loose.

If you are handy at all with a wrench it is probably a 3 hour job to fix. Drop the tranny, pull the clutch and flywheel and the plate that holds the rear main seal will be right there. take off the plate, remove old seal, put new seal in, then put everything back together.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:21 PM
i got the same leak on my 03 with 16k miles. its not as bad though

Quick Reply: rear main leak