Stock Cluster W/o tach for Stock Cluster W/ tach

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Cluster W/o tach for Stock Cluster W/ tach

ok i know this has been talked about many times but i need a straight answer. i have a 2000 f150 xl with no tach. i want a cluster with the tach because there is no place to put an aftermarket one where it will look good. i recently got a cluster that has the tach in it. I know i will have to mess with pats BS but i need to know if it will work first. I dont care if the mileage is not the same either. There is no wire going to pin #48 at the ecm. if i connect a wire to this pin, where do i need to put the other end of the wire? which position on the instrument cluster connector? I wish there was a way to just disable pats but there is no easy way that i have found. in an earlier post someone stated that there is a wire going to the cluster (White and Pink) that should go to the tach signal.if it is there why is it not at the ecm? i just want someone who knows what their talking about. please help me and when i finish the install i will submit step by step and pics.

thanks
josh

Old 10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
hello??

is there anyone out there that can help me with this task?? please

thanks
josh

Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Pin 48 at the PCM is not used. There is no internal circuit in the PCM connected to it.

TACH data is generated in the PCM and is send to the cluster via the SCP network. There is no discrete signal wire for the TACH signal, it's all just data sent over the network.

Swapping the cluster may require a replacement computer or a reflash of you existing PCM just to have the TACH data available to the cluster. Of copurse, you're aware that the cluster and the PCM must match for the PATS system to operate.

Steve

Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM
cluster

yes the pcm, cluster, gem, and the sensor inside the column must all match. do you know where i can get the computer flashed? what do you mean by the spc network? if i have to flash the computer for it to work, then how is it that people can install an aftermarket tach and it work? how would you hook up an aftermarket tach?

thanks
josh

Old 10-07-2006, 01:57 PM
the tach signal goes to the ODBII port.This can be used with an aftermarket product like the scangauge 2 or the edge and sct is comming out with a new product which will read the port and have a display for external veiwing.these are some other options if you don't want to change the inst. cluster.Just a thought is if you are patient and would like a tuned motor you might want to wait for sct to come out and have it loaded with Troyer tunes from Troyer performance.I would wait for this option,I have the xcal 2 and the tunes from Mike and it livened tis truck up alot.Worth the money,Just MHO!!Good luck TSDan

Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 AM
I would like it to be a stock cluster. any information on how to do this project would be appreciated.

thanks
josh

Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by TSDan
the tach signal goes to the ODBII port....
Not exactly. However, EVERY PCM-related parameter is available at the OBD-II port because it's all computer data that is available via the network. There is no discrete TACH signal....

Aftermarket tachs can pick up signals from coils, plug wires (if present), crank sensors, etc. It all depends on how the aftermarket device was designed and what vehicle is being it is being put into.

PCM flashes are available from your Ford dealer and perhaps, a very well equipped performance tuner.

The SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) network is the internal signal bus that all the different micro-processor-controlled modules use to communicate with each other. These aren't simple wiring harnesses anymore.....

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
cluster

so what you are saying is that all i have to do is take the truck to the dealership and while im there install the new cluster. then i need to let them flash the computer to transfer the pats system and make the new cluster work. am i correct or close???? please let me know

thanks
josh

Quick Reply: Stock Cluster W/o tach for Stock Cluster W/ tach