cutting off cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cutting off cats

just wondering how many people have done it to their v6? does it sound better, increase performance? Also I had an exhaust shop guy tell me not to cut mine off, he said a bunch of crap about sensors and computer problems if I do, is this true? or is he a dumbass, cause he was cutting the cats off my buddies mustang when I asked him haha.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
You are a dumbass for wanting to contribute to increasing our smog levels.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by wally_76
just wondering how many people have done it to their v6? does it sound better, increase performance? Also I had an exhaust shop guy tell me not to cut mine off, he said a bunch of crap about sensors and computer problems if I do, is this true? or is he a dumbass, cause he was cutting the cats off my buddies mustang when I asked him haha.

Hey, my cat converters are gone.

Hell yeah it'll increase Hp/ acceleration. Trust me, all that is gonna do to ur truck is have the check engine light on all the time. But you can get an eliminator for the light.
So yeah ur good..

P.s.
Don't pay attention to the Hippie over here worried about the enviroment. LOL

Jet Stage 3 chip//Throttle body spacer//AF1 air intake// Mac performance MAFS//Y PIPE// NO catalatyc Converters//Gibson dual exhaust//CERAMACOATED HEADERS!!//CAM/ POSITRACTION UNIT!!! NOT LIKE U ONE WHEEL SPINNER GUYS //410 gear ratio//NEW Transmission upgraded W/different gears and more holding power//Centerforce Stage II clutch//Centerforce light weight flywheel// Centerforce throwout//bearing//HURST SHIFTER KIT//My homemade cold air//Shaved heads//Upgraded Injectors/Water pump//REAR drop shackle//FRONT Lowering springs and Nittro drop shocks//I maybe missing something else......
OH YEAH how can i forget!! 75 SHOT OF NITROUS//

20''wheels/ YOKOHOMA TIRES//SHAVED F150 emblem on sides// and back//Air brushed last name//Remote controlled Fog lights//Hoods scoops//TAIL WING//Xtang bed cover//Clear corner lenses//Limo tint// 2 12''SOLOBARICS L7's/ 2 1800 watt punch FOsgate AMPS//Pionner DECK//

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=6980

Last edited by STOMPTHECHEVY; 07-05-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanx man, thats what I thought. My friends mustang has the check engine light on all the time. kind of annoying for a while. A piece of black tape fixed that!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:29 AM
hi flow cats are relatively cheap and i don't have to worry about check engine lights or "the heat"...lol

Old 07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
cats

If you have the cat converters removed be sure to retain the O2 pre-cat sensor and the EGR return.Keep it to a low growl and you won't attract a lot of negative attention. Flowmaster 50's will do nicely.
Depending on your state the truck may not pass a smog inspection test.
Add a good high flow air intake system like K&N, AEM or Fram and you will definetly experience better performance. A well filtered street breather modification will keep you intake and injectors nice and clean. With regular filter cleaning or change you won't allow much pollution to escape into the atmosphere. You'll actually burn cleaner and your tail pipe emmisions will be less and you will gain about 20 hp.and 2 mpg.
Good luck.

1992 F-150, 5.0L "Black Beauty" (with above mods and more)

Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by payableondeath6
hi flow cats are relatively cheap and i don't have to worry about check engine lights or "the heat"...lol

HELL NO!! Tell me where you saw cheap hi flow cat conv.
And no, they don't add any heat to the cab.

I looked around and couldn't find no cheap ones. even stock are EXPENSIVE.

Plus, i don't think that 45 bucks for the job is bad at all.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by 92ONEFIFTY
If you have the cat converters removed be sure to retain the O2 pre-cat sensor and the EGR return.Keep it to a low growl and you won't attract a lot of negative attention. Flowmaster 50's will do nicely.
Depending on your state the truck may not pass a smog inspection test.
Add a good high flow air intake system like K&N, AEM or Fram and you will definetly experience better performance. A well filtered street breather modification will keep you intake and injectors nice and clean. With regular filter cleaning or change you won't allow much pollution to escape into the atmosphere. You'll actually burn cleaner and your tail pipe emmisions will be less and you will gain about 20 hp.and 2 mpg.
Good luck.

1992 F-150, 5.0L "Black Beauty" (with above mods and more)
It's true, on some counties or states wont be able to pass inspection. But that's why u have to smoke a dubbie with the mechanics from time to time. That will get u a $25 inspection sticker, without INS. Or inspection itself

And yes the air management done to my truck added all together really impressed me. Sounds nice, and accelerates alot quicker than stock.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I have the K&N cold air system, flowmaster super 40 si/do with three inch tips, hypertech tuning, airaid throttle body spacer, underdrive pulley. Who makes high flow cats for the V6?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by wally_76
I have the K&N cold air system, flowmaster super 40 si/do with three inch tips, hypertech tuning, airaid throttle body spacer, underdrive pulley. Who makes high flow cats for the V6?

Check the Jegs catalog. I cant remember where i was told i may find them.

But yeah, just cut them off. and don't waste time

Old 07-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Jeeps&Fords
You are a dumbass for wanting to contribute to increasing our smog levels.

Maybe its a, "jeep thing, and we wouldn't understand". LOL

Any one ever gut their cats or core them, I'm going to do this to my Vic, since all cars older then 96 will no longer need testing. And I'm trying to get more MPG out of my truck, will this help?

Old 07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by DOUROS81
Maybe its a, "jeep thing, and we wouldn't understand". LOL

Any one ever gut their cats or core them, I'm going to do this to my Vic, since all cars older then 96 will no longer need testing. And I'm trying to get more MPG out of my truck, will this help?
Mine are gone off my 5.4, and I can't tell a difference with power and mileage. It did make it a little bit louder, but for power's sake, it isn't worth it.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM
do you remove all 4 or just the two larger ones towards the back?? thanks

wait...what are the two small looking things anyway??

Old 07-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by huff150
do you remove all 4 or just the two larger ones towards the back?? thanks

wait...what are the two small looking things anyway??

THE FRONT TWO ARE COLLECTORS. And the back ones is the cats where they have that ceramic or some type of stuff.

And yes all four come down. you wouldn't want to stop up ur muffler.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Actually, that "check enigine light" is becuase you will set off you'r Oxygen sensors. That will 1) make you lose power 2) decrease your fuel mileage substantially 3) continue to throw codes and cuase problems. Theres a reason that light comes on, and black tape is ignorant. You will make your truck run incredibly rich which will cuase all the problems I listed above and things like fouling plugs. I have a 93 f150 with a I6 300 and I took off my second cat and muffler and am putting on a summit glasspack and reconnecting it to the tailpipe so that I get a good balance of power gain, but no engine trouble (my O2 sensors are all in front of/inside the first cat) Plus, all my noise will look stock, and is street legal in my state. There's a reason they call that a "dummy light"

Quick Reply: cutting off cats