Rough going - 1st and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough going - 1st and reverse

Just got a new-to-me 5-speed 2000 F-150 XL reg cab sb with the 4.2L, 52k miles. I've been fighting the engine and tranny to smoothly go into 1st and reverse. It stumbles and sometimes dies if I don't give her at least 1/4 throttle and baby the clutch, even on flat roads. Trying to get her into gear on an incline has been fun.

I put in new Motorcraft Platinum plugs pn: AGSF34FM , gapped to 0.054", and new 8mm Borg Warner select wires, pn: CH8886 / 26-23102, per the O'Reilly parts guy's advice. Also went to the quick lube to have the fuel filter replaced and got talking into their emissions cleaning.

The engine is much better going into 1st, but it still stumbles a little and reverse is still a bear. I guess I'm just used to manuals being able to get into gear without having to give it gas or having to slip the clutch very much. The engine starts and idles fine and once it is rolling it shifts fine. Any other tune-up items I should look at?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Well after running 2 bottles of HEAT through the tank the truck still ran rough at low rpms. I thought it might be water in the fuel because the truck may have sit for awhile before I bought it.

This weekend I filling up with 89 octane and found that it runs much smoother, quieter and is noticeably more responsive. I was using 87 octane before, and I guess it just doesn't like the cheap stuff. Oh well, there goes an extra $2 a tank.

Anyone else have to run 89 octane?

Old 02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I don't have to run 89 octane. I do however every 2 oil changes or so run some Lucas Oil additive in my gasoline to help clean the fuel system. I had a bad wire on ecylinder 3 and it caused similar symptoms as you state, but I got a CEL(Cylinder #3 missfire). I would recomend you change out the fuel filter just as a preventative measure too.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Sounds to me like more of a clutch problem than an engine. Your engine is running smoother now with the tune ups so you don't notice it as much going into first, but do notice it going into reverse, which I believe is geared higher (don't quote me on it). Check your hydraulic clutch system, the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder for leaks and pressure.

It could be the transmission too. You should probably change the transmission fluid. I do mine every 45000 miles (Ford recommends something rediculous like 100K), and it looks like it needs it and shifts better afterwords. I have had a 2000 since new with 115000 miles on it, that 5 speed leaves much to be desired. Mine has always ground going into 3rd gear if the clutch is not completely mashed to the floor when shifting up or down it happens if you are day dreaming.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:43 PM
I'd be about 95% sure your clutch is going out. I've had this happen in an explorer and a ranger, that is pretty much a standard sign the clutch is going out. Replacing clutches is the only thing I don't like about manual transmissions, Wish my 97 was a stick, not sure if they even offered a manual with the 5.4 though...

~Mike Shaw

Old 03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
I agree with Mike If you're only having trouble "getting started" then you probably don't have a problem with the engine or tranny (other than the clutch).

Last edited by thereisnospoon; 03-04-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Rough going - 1st and reverse