Leaking head gasket I believe

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking head gasket I believe

Hey,

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 6cylinder 4.2 litre. I noticed just yesterday that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust. I am guessing it is a leaking head gasket. It is a small leak though, because it only occurs at startup and for about the first mile. Other than that there is nothing left. It also happens after the car goes into very low RPM (below idle). It goes away though. After the car has warmed up, it won't do it anymore (at least when looking at it you can't see it). I was wondering how easy a head gasket replacement is??? I do have some experience working on cars, but what about the F-150? Any good guidance??? Or is this a mechanic job??? Also about how much should I expect to pay for this??? Could it also be the intake manifold, any way to test the difference??? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. John C Stille.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are numerous threads on the subject of intake gaskets, not head gaskets. Do search on 97 f-150 in this forum and the answer is there. Trust me there are so many post that if you can't find it, you haven't looking too hard.

Quick Reply: Leaking head gasket I believe