Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light

My check engine light never stays on for more than thirty seconds... but everytime I drive for more than ten miles it seems to at least flash on once or twice. I'm kind of clueless to what the problem might be because I haven't had my truck long... could it be an O2 sensor? Thanks for the help-

Old 08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
On vehicles made since 1996, there is a data port you can plug a scanner into. On my truck, it is below the steering wheel and covered with a black plastic cap.

If you have an Auto Zone near you, they can loan you a code scanner (or you can buy the same one for $180 or so from various sources). I borrowed one (put a deposit on my card) and brought it home.

Follow the directions on the scanner and in a few seconds it will give you a code. Track down the code # and you will know what the problem is.

(edit: Sorry - I see you have a '93 model. Not sure if you can scan the codes. You posted in the V6 section and the V6 was not used until '97. You might want to post in the older truck section)

Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
OBD-I codes can be pulled with nothing more complicated than a paper clip. That's for pre-96 vehicles.

Steve

Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm inclined to feel a little stupid now, but if by now you couldn't already tell, I am a bit new to this... anyways what do you mean I can get the codes with a paper clip?

Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr131s
I'm inclined to feel a little stupid now, but if by now you couldn't already tell, I am a bit new to this... anyways what do you mean I can get the codes with a paper clip?

Google "how to ford eec-iv codes". You will get numerous Ford hobbiest sites with instructions.

Disregard the analog voltmeter section. You can just watch the CEL and count flashes.

Again, this does not apply to OBD-II (EEC-V) systems, only OBD-I (EEC-IV).

Steve

Quick Reply: Check engine light