Replaced Batt Now Guages Gone Haywire

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replaced Batt Now Guages Gone Haywire

Guages Gone Haywire

Battery gave out and just died while sitting in the parking lot. Not surprising since I ran it down more than a few times;1.lights on 2.stereo 3.pwr inverter on da beach. It's a 5-speed so I kickstarted it and drove & bought a new batt.
Now da problem, From a cold start, all guages read ok. After 1/4 mile oil pressure creeps up & maxes out (pegs); After 1/2 mile temp & voltage pegs max and at the same instant oil pressure drops to the low mark, and stays constant throughout the day. Only, if the truck sits for an hour or more and then started, then it'll read: oil-pegged--volts & temp normal then after 1/2 mile: temp & voltage jump to max at the same time oil pressure drops to the low mark. Tried resetting the ECM w/no luck. Dealer skeptical that the ECM is at fault. It's now 300 miles later & drivability has not been affected. HELP!

Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Make sure you have tightened the terminals snuggly.

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Tinkering But Still No Change

Terminals clean and tightened. Gnd secure. Seems to be a thermal problem cause when the truck sits and cools for a while, all the gauges return to normal readings. Currently have the cluster out so I could chase the wires to a faulty relay or something, but no luck so far. Sprayed the cluster with freeze spray-still no results. Pulled the ECM out, opened it up and did the 'sniff' test- no burned smell.
Measured voltage across batt w/engine off-measured 13.8V
Measured voltage across batt with the engine at idle-measured 14.4V
Disconnected battery, and measured voltage across terminal wires- measured 14.4V
Revved engine while measuring, and V remained the same. Moved shared battery GND to a secure location by itself- results still da same. Oil pressure creeps up then drops low and all other gauges peg MAX. This only happens after a cool/cold start. While the truck is hot the gauges stay in their "funny" positions.
Truck still running like a champion. Actually it seems to run better now after disconnecting the battery so many times and resetting the ECM.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Problem Solved

After exhaustive trouble shooting on the ecn, i refocussed my efforts on the display. Ordered and installed a used one, and yep! It was the instrument cluster. All is well.

Quick Reply: Replaced Batt Now Guages Gone Haywire