4.2 Cam Position Sensor and Synchro

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 Cam Position Sensor and Synchro

All,

I have researched the threads a little and have seen the problem with the Cam Position Sensor come up somewhat often. However, I have not seen anyone specifically adress the difficulty of it's replacement. On my 99 F150, the sensor is burried below the EGR valve and under the steel heater tubes. It looks like with a LOT of patience and a wobbly socket, one MIGHT be able to get to the bolts that secure the sensor into the synchro housing, but what has to be removed in order to replace the synchro itself?

Mine started squealing yesterday, followed by the check engine light.. Autozone scanned (thank you Autozone) and said that the camshaft position sensor was faulty. I see where a few others have had to replace the synchro because of the squealing. It almost looks like the waterpump has to come out to make room for the replacement of the synchro, but perhaps someone who has done it can shed some light on it for me.

I called the dealer here and they want $135 for the Synchro and $57 for the sensor. Autozone wanted $30 for the sensor and did not carry the synchro.

Thanks!!!

Steve in Rowlett Texas
99 F150 SC Flareside XLT
4.2 v6 Auto
126k miles

Old 07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 Cam Sensor

Hi!

No you don’t have to remove the water pump. You have to remove the air hose from the throttle body, the upper radiator hose, three bolts that holds the EGR valve large steel tubing that is connected to the EGR and the Y shape tube of the heater hoses. Then remove the plug and the two small bolts (6 or 8mm) on top the sensor. The sensor is cap with a small magnet. DON’T remove the bolt on the base of the sensor you will need a special tool (OTC-6469) for calibration. I had done this job on my truck and it took like 30 mins. Hope this help.

Davisote

Quick Reply: 4.2 Cam Position Sensor and Synchro