Ford Service Manual Info please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0117 - Ford Service Manual Info please

I'm looking for some help finding a Ford Service Manual on, CD preferably.

For now, just some info would also help.

I saw on another thread SSCULLY posted from the FSM on a CEL code.

I am getting a P0117. Can't figure this one out. I am particularly interested in the Possible Causes and Diagnostic Aides.

I know that the P0117 says that the Coolant Temp Sensor is getting a low input voltage. I've replaced it, problem still exists. I have replace my DPFE sensor, it was in really bad shape, still get p0117.

I checked the electrical connection with a multi meter, and sure enough it only shows about 4.5 or 4.6 volts with the key on - Haynes says it should be 5.0.

Any ideas on what to look for next? How can I trace the wire? - looks pretty daunting. I'm up for what ever I have to do - I can't stand having to pay someone to work on my truck.

1997 f150, v6, 4.2, ext cab, 2wd.

Thanks.

Last edited by lawson; 05-27-2005 at 05:14 PM. Reason: change title
Old 05-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Check your battery voltage with a multi-meter. I think (If I remember correctly) the normal voltage range for a 12V DC automotive battery is between 13.8V DC to 14.4V DC. You can use google search engine to find out for sure. Your battery might not be putting out enough voltage. If your battery is in the voltage range, clean your terminals and check all the grounds to make sure they are tight. Sorry if I'm not any help.

Last edited by Peacemaker; 05-24-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4.6-4.8V is acceptable for a circuit operating off VREF like an ECT.

Check for any pinched or chafed wiring going to the ECT.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Since replacing the ECT sensor (assuming you replaced the correct sensor) did not clear the code, you are left with only two likely reasons for the fault:

ECT signal line shorted to ground

or

Damaged PCM

Unplug the ECT connector and check the resistance of the light green/red wire to ground with the key off.

If less than 10K ohms, disconnect the PCM connector and repeat.

If the reading is still less than 10K ohms, repair the signal line short to ground.

If the reading goes to open with the PCM disconnected, the PCM has a shorted input circuit.

Steve

Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Steve, Quintin, Peacemaker,

Thanks for the info!

I will check the ETC resistance scenarios you described, check the battery volatage again, check the wires and report back.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Steve

or anyone...

When you say to disconnect the PCM connector, you mean inside the engine compartment? I am not sure of the location. In my 4.2 v6, wpould it be the connector between the battery and the firewall, about 4 or 5 inches tall and an inch wide? It looks like it's bolted on.

I want to disconnect the PCM connector to do the second check you suggested. The first check of the ECT connector shows 0.25. Actually, I could swear that when I initially took the reading, it showed 16.0+, but then started reading at 0.24, 0.25. I am thinking that maybe the connector or the wire has a short...

Old 05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
OK ,

more info now....

The battery measures at 12.6 to 12.9 volts cold, depending on how long after running I check it. It measures 14+ volts while running.

I have measured the resistance on the ETC sensor connector - 14.8 with the key off. I measured this with the multimeeter setr on the 20K ohm setting.

With the key turned on, the ETC sensor connector gets 4.6 volts.

Could it still be the PCM? I didn't disconnect the PCM connector because the resistance measured ok - I think.

am thinking maybe the PCM may be going, or there is a wiring problem somewhere - now to find it...

any suggestions will be great!

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 AM
CEL went off yesterday on the way home.

I don''t know what did it. Maybe it took this long to reset? Maybe there is a short somewhere and all of my poking around moved something back into a good position. I do not know.

Still having the start, idle, stall issue.

I'll post more on that later.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Ford Service Manual Info please