another engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another engine swap question

Hi, maybe someone can give me some advice. I've got a 98 f-150 w/ the 4.2 and I want to swap. I want to go to a carbed motor, maybe a 351. How hard would this be? what all would I need? would i pretty much be able to yank all of the wiring and just run the basics (no ac,blowermotor,washer,power windows...)All I want is essential running gear. Thanks for any helpful advice.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Well if you go carburated then all the wiring in the dash etc. has to go. I don't think the 351 will fit in our engine bay. I was going to get a built 302 out of a '94 gt, but from the little measuring I did the intake was going to be too tall towards the firewall. It will take a lot of time and custom fab. work, but where there's a will there's a way. And I'm almost posative that the 4.2l tranny have the winsor patter so that might help too. Good luck and keep everyone posted on what your going to do.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:37 PM
The new cars and trucks are built pretty custom to their engines now. Isnt like it use to be with the giant engine bays now everything is smashed up into the firewall. I'm sure if someone had the shop and the time to do it anythings possible but its getting harder.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:40 PM
should be easier and more simple than swapping out say a different sized efi motor.

the issues u may run into are fitment, motor mounting, and tranny compatibilty...

other than that the swap should be pretty straightforward(not saying it isnt going to be a major PITA tho)

Quick Reply: another engine swap question