broken truck, pls help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken truck, pls help

I cant find this info to save my butt.
I took my 4r70w out of my 97 4.2L 4x2 last weekend, and i bought a new 4r70w from ariel gears... Now mind you i sent them the old tranny so that they would match up and ensure all my electrical connectors would match.

Now the connector on the driver side just rear of the TR/MLPS sensor, what is it? i pulled it out and it looks like a pressure sensor of sorts? can someone identify it?

also, the connector on the tailhousing is the VSS, right? there is also the speedo gear connected to it... Now i dont remember taking a mechanical speedo cable off. Am i just not seeing that cable and i did take it off? i thought the speedo was electronic on this truck, therefore i souldnt have the mechanical output?. Just to explain myself a little better - the VSS sensor pulls out and has the speedo gear attached to it, on the outside it looks like i am supposed to connect 2 connections to it?

Are these 2 connectors different on my 97 than on later model 4r70w's?

Thanks for taking the time
Justin

Old 09-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I'd call Ariel and ask them about it. I would have no idea man. Sorry.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:45 PM
ok, well i have figured out that a 98 and newer 4r70w has a different VSS. I got the correct one and it makes the speedo work and the transmission shifts to all gears now.

the sensor above the TR sensor is some sort of a pressure solenoid (not sure of the name yet). the truck drives without the pressure solenoid but kinda feels like it wants to shift... makes sense huh?

2 easy ways to tell a late model 4r70w from a 97-prior... The late model bellhousing should have an access hole to the torque converter(this is what ariel gears tells me, im not positive its correct) and the other is to pull the dipstick- if it says mercon 5 its a 98 and later, if it says mercon 3 its the older trans

Quick Reply: broken truck, pls help