Loud ticking/ clunking at start up

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud ticking/ clunking at start up

hey there ya'll

starting on firday night i started my truck and there was a Rather loud ticking noise coming from the engine area. when i start the truck it is kinda loud and rather fast passed. then in about 10 seconds it goes away. when i open the hood its not as loud as when i stand on the side of the truck. almost as if its coming from the transmission. any ideas as to what this could be??

it did this one time about three months ago but then never did it again. but this time it seems to happen on every start. if the truck is warm it does not seem to do it. but if i leave it for a few hours or untill cool it will do it again. somtiems it last 5 seconds or one time it lasted about 3 min. I let the truck sit at idle and like i said it will go away once things warm up a bit.

i have 127000 miles on this truck if that helps any

anyone got an idea??

Last edited by ampresearch; 02-23-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey dont you hate those noises.....
Im not rocket scientist... wait yea I am...... well anyway.... I have to tell you that it really screams of a rod or lifter problem......
If you hear the noise from outside the fender, and not the front of the truck with the hood open.. try crawling under by the tire and see if its forward or aft of the firewall... but anything attached to your crankshaft will eminate sound through the engine and transmission ....

check your oil and filler cap... look for foam and cloudy oil... but the fact that it goes away lends to a lube problem of some kind....

I hope this helps..... good luck

Old 02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I got a deep knocking noise for about 5 minutes after startup when I had a bad oil filter. I think the ADBV or bypass valve was giving me trouble. Put a new Napa gold filter on and it went away.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:03 PM
WEll i went to a few shops and everyone said to just change my oil first and then see what happenes. so i did and now the noise is gone. nevee knew that oil filters themselves have valves and such. guess i'll never buy a cheapo filter again.

Quick Reply: Loud ticking/ clunking at start up