Electric Fans

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fans

I know there is a lot of talk about them and I have been reading a LOT about them.

I have seen several different configurations used. I was wondering if could do something like a single 16" Derale electric fan which flows 2,175 cfm mounted in the factory shroud similar to this (well pretty much this): https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...s&pagenumber=1 or even that fan. Would that be suficient to keep the 4.2 cool in Louisiana?

I figure I would get one of the two fans and pretty much mount it to the factory shoud or just to the radiator via these: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...logno=PPI-EFMK the wire it up with one of these: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...alogno=PPI-SFC

All this would be about 165+ shipping. So I would have my electic fan setup for a little over 170 to 180 bucks. Would those be the 'main' parts that I would need? I know I need wiring and fuses, but is there anything else I would be missing?

Or something like Dual 14" fans with two of the mounting kits as shows above and a dual thermostat setup, which would run a little over 250.

How do these two options work? Will the single fan be enough or do I have to have the dual fans?

Old 11-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Ava
Excellent question. I don't have an electric fan set up yet in my 4.2. But I have been wondering the same as yourself. If your engine does not overheat with your belt driven fan, why would it overheat with an electric fan of the same diameter? If you shop around ,you will see that they make single electric fans up to 18" diameter. I've seem them in Summit catologs and other catologs. Autozone, Kragen, Pepboys might even have these fans in stock. If not they can probably order them for you.

I think that some of these truck specific duel fans are overpriced. Gunslinger who reads this forum put together a duel electric fan setup on his truck from Autozone for less than $200! When I'm ready for my electric fan, I'll go with a single same diameter as stock size fan. Remember, these are 4.2 V6's, not 500hp big block V8's. Just my thoughts. Mark M

Last edited by Ava; 11-16-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Well the only thing Im thinking is maybe an electric fan would flow less air than the belt fan.

The fans at autozone are what inspired me to do this. Also, the reason you may need dual etectric fans is if you placed the fans right ont he radiator. However, maybe if you placed them further back like in the factory fan shroud it will allow them to flow more air since the shroud kind of makes a funnel around the radiator.

I talked to Rouchefan about his flex-a-lite electric fans and he said he has only had an over heating problem once. However, he has the 4.6 and he only used the 12" dual fan kit.

Im thinking I can get two of the 16" Derale electric fans from troyer for about 180 which woudl flow a total of aprox 3000 cfm (my prices above were wrong I was looking at the Troyer fans) and then the dual thermostat for another 50 and the two fan install kits for 20 bucks thus bringin the total to ... aprox 250 making this electric fan kit about 100 to 150 less than vehicle specfic fan kits. (to top it off you MAY be able to get the parts cheaper else where...However it may be worth it to have the support of Mike)

Old 11-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Something else:

Maybe these fans would be better. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=PRM%2D19115 or http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=PRM%2D19114 depending on which ones woudl fit they woudl flow close to 6000 cfm which I think would be plenty, since the Troyer dual fan setup flows 4600cfm.

Even if you went with the 16" Derale electric fans you would only lose 600 cfm, which with our engine I dont think would make that much of a difference.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Ava
I wonder how much a belt driven Flex fan weighs compared to our stock fan/clutch setup? If it's less, then that would be a pretty good mod and it would'nt cost much. The Flex fan flattens out as the RPMs increase taking less power to spin the fan. That would take some drag off the engine. But the Flex fan would have to weigh less than the fan/clutch to make it worth while. Mark M

Old 11-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ava
I wonder how much a belt driven Flex fan weighs compared to our stock fan/clutch setup? If it's less, then that would be a pretty good mod and it would'nt cost much. The Flex fan flattens out as the RPMs increase taking less power to spin the fan. That would take some drag off the engine. But the Flex fan would have to weigh less than the fan/clutch to make it worth while. Mark M
IMO thats not woth doing....If I do it Im going electric.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:33 PM
I put a Flex-A-Lite "Black Magic" single fan on my V-6. It is a 'universal fit' fan. Cost about $180 from Summit in 2000. That price included all controllers and wiring. I ordered it online on a Tuesday afternoon and it was delivered by Wednesday morning - very impressive service. I think the Black Magic is rated by the maker for vehicles of 200 hp, and it flows around 1500 cfm, but those are just what I remember, you will have to check for more info from Flex A Lite.

I've had it on my truck for over 3 years and have never come close to overheating. I live in a very hot climate, but rarely tow.

The electric fan is a great mod, IMO. I really did not notice much power increase (I have an automatic tranny not a 5 speed), but there must be some as that stock fan is a heavy bugger. My mileage did seem to go up at least 0.5 mpg, maybe more. Hard to say as my mileage varies a lot tank to tank.

Other benefits of the electric fan are the truck is much quieter when the fan is not on. And you can get heat out of the heater faster in winter.

If you search for threads on fans and want specific install info on the Flex-a-Lite Black Magic, check for posts by Bill Aquino from a few years ago. He put it on his 4.6 and it seemed to work fine. There are some good ideas for wiring in Bill's posts.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Hazard269
... Will the single fan be enough or do I have to have the dual fans?

Wouldn't a dual fan setup be safer when switching to electric since there is redundancy in case one fan fails?

Old 11-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by LeanNCut
Originally posted by Hazard269
... Will the single fan be enough or do I have to have the dual fans?

Wouldn't a dual fan setup be safer when switching to electric since there is redundancy in case one fan fails?
Yes; however, a lot of people run only one fan. Look at a lot of Ford cars and they only come with one electrical fan. A lot of Lightning people run only one of the OEM fans. However, one of the fans new is about 200, which is why Im wondering if I shoudl go dual for just the reason you mentioned.

Old 11-18-2003, 12:22 AM
Yep did mine for under 200. Haven't had a problem yet with the autozone fans. Did dual 16's, hayden's, flow 1700 or 2100(I threw the box away, I cant remember)each. 74 dollars each, one controller 40 dollars. I did it the cheap way first to see if it was really worth the 400 I was gonna spend on dual permacool or flexlite fans from summit. I think its worth the 200, not the 400. For that price I would add another 100 and get NOS.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:25 AM
If I go with perma-cool it would run me about 250 and I can handle that I think. But are the perma-cool fans good stuff or crap? The ones from summit are 80 or 90 a piece and flow 2950 CFM...just wonder if I can fit two.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:38 PM
If they are 16 in fans, I don't see why they wouldn't. U could ask them for the total legnth of the fans and the plactic around them to be for sure they fit. And I didn't see those fans from permacool for 80 to 90 from summit. If I have a problem with my existing fans I will go for those. They have good flow numbers.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:28 PM
I got the FLex a Lite setup $325 shipped and paid $190 for install. For $515 I should've gone to vegas and got a hooker! Serious! This setup sucks! Flex-a-lite claims a power gain of +17HP....I for some reason feel my truck slower now! THis is is NOT recommended by me!

Old 11-19-2003, 04:57 PM
What condition is ur battery? Is ur alternator ok. The only thing I can think of is that the fans are draining ur battery somehow. Making ur alternator run more. How did they rig it up? Switch(on/off) or controller(temp activated)? u are the first person I've ever heard of that lost power. I just thought about it, those fans had to come with a controller for 325. So it has to be a battery alternator prob?

Last edited by gunslinger20; 11-19-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:17 PM
my opinion

F150Y2K
well, I have the Flexalite FAL-270 setup on my 2000 Expedition 4.6L 4x4 and I think they are well worth the money! I could tell a very noticeable increase in throttle response & low end SOTP(SEAT OF THE PANTS). I have also gotten about 1.5 to 2 mpg better mileage. Now that the weather is getting colder, the shorter warm-up time is appreciated. Maybe my gains have to do with the fact that my OEM clutch fan weighed 9 lbs.! I dont know if the V-6 fan is any lighter? I do not understand how your truck could possibly be slower?!

Quick Reply: Electric Fans