Battery: Exide Orbital or Optima?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery: Exide Orbital or Optima?

I've been looking recently into getting a replacement battery for my truck now and have narrowed it down to 2. Exide has the Optima and Optima has the Yellow and Red Top Batteries.

Does anybody have either of these? Price wise the Orbital is going for $105 shipped and the Yellow Top = $140 Shipped.

What does everyone recommend?

Old 11-07-2003, 10:31 AM
I am not fimiliar with the Orbital bat but, I've heard people have had good luck with Optima bats.

I'm thinking of switching my stock one for a red Optima. If I had big stereo system I would go with the yellow.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Hi-

I have the Exide Orbital. I have the marine starting version so that I could get deep cycle combined with the starting power. Plus, it has the wing nut lugs on top for running 12-volt stuff if you would like. My main reason in getting this over the Optima was that a Farm store near my home sells this brand and the store has always been very good to me if I had a defective product. So far, so good. I had to build a little plate to hold the battery down, instead of the plastic Ford version.

Later,
Crotteau

Old 11-07-2003, 12:40 PM
I think I might be lucky then because the place that I bought it from mentioned that they would include the hold down adapter for FREE! I got it for $105 shipped (from eBay)

Old 11-07-2003, 11:22 PM
I have had Optimas in my Mercedes's for many years now. I can recommend them highly. The diesel had a monster sized battery that it would go through every one or two winters. I've had the standard redtop Optima in it for over 4 years now and it still cranks like new.

A big added bonus is no corrosion or leaks. These batteries can be mounted anywhere in any position. You can bolt it in and forget about it. Only downside I have noticed is that the redtop only comes in one size (with both top and side posts) so I've sometimes had to re-route cables.

I am putting one in the F150 as soon as the original factory battery bites the dust.

I am pretty sure the redtop is their standard starting battery. If the yellowtop is a deepcycle, it would not be a good choice for a starting battery. Deepcycle batteries need a "gentler" charging cycle.

(I heard rumor that a big battery giant bought out Optima (or their technology) so who knows if they will continue to be so long-lasting and dependable. )

Last edited by Scott D; 11-07-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Good information...Thanks!

Quick Reply: Battery: Exide Orbital or Optima?