Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic oil

I know it's been posted previously but I don't remember. How long is recommended for running synthetic oil and is it okay to begin using it at 130,000 miles?

Old 01-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You can start running it any time, but the older the seals get the more likely it will find a place to leak out. It if does leak, you have to add some more of that expensive oil, and can't wait to drain it out because of the oil spots in the garage.

You are better off to run synthetic in a newer engine until if finds a way through the seals, then go to conventional oil.

I like to run synthetic 5000 miles.

Old 01-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by greencrew
You can start running it any time, but the older the seals get the more likely it will find a place to leak out. It if does leak, you have to add some more of that expensive oil, and can't wait to drain it out because of the oil spots in the garage.

You are better off to run synthetic in a newer engine until if finds a way through the seals, then go to conventional oil.

I like to run synthetic 5000 miles.
So...you're saying synthetic leaks faster than regular oil...Is this true and if so, why? Because it's 'slipperier'?

Old 01-17-2003, 11:46 AM
I read a great explanation on synthetic vs conventional oils and the reason that synthetics leak more than conventional is in the design of the oil. The molecular shape of synthetic oil is all the same through out the oil, and rounded like ball bearings. Conventional oil is refined crude which has all different shapes of carbon chain molecules in it (round, square, rectangle, etc).

As seals wear and develop microscopic leaks, conventional oil will "self-plug" the leaks with its multi-shaped molecules, but synthetic won't because the molecules won't lock together (like having a bag of marbles with a hole in it).

Hope that helps

Old 01-18-2003, 05:07 PM
I wrote to Castrol about the use of synthetics in higher mileage trucks. My 98 F150 has 105k on it and uses no oil, I want to use synthetic. I wrote to Castrol and here is their response:

Castrol SYNTEC may be used in older, high mileage vehicles. Castrol SYNTEC has been recommended for all U.S. and foreign cars and has passed Industry tests for seal and gasket compatibility. However, while there is no seal compatibility concern in older vehicles, deterioration of the seals, resulting in an oil consumption problem, can arise. Synthetic oil can be more fluid and if there has been deterioration of the seals, a leak may
become more apparent.

Susan Howell
Reference: 110556

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=castrol

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil