2010 fx4 screw MSRP vs Invoice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves. Believe me, they will chase you out of the dealership, especially in these challenging economic times. In my case, I go to the same dealership that I have for years. They are fair, but I might get a few hundred more off somewhere else. However, they will let me know if they can't or won't do the deal I want. This way we both come out fair. They don't play the tricks of lowballing you as you leave, only to say that deal was a "one time only" deal when you come back. It is not a crime for a delaer to make a little. It is a crime for them to make a killing. And, if buying used, remember that they likely have a TON of markup in the aksing price, so there is plenty of room to work.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I go to the dealer when it's closed. I find the EXACT truck I want and copy the window sticker down word for word with the options or take a pic of it. Then come home, go to www.edmunds.com, or even www.fordvehicles.com and "build" the truck online. I get the EXACT invoice price. Then I go back when they're open and say "I want that truck, and I KNOW invoice is $______, so how much do YOU want to make today??" This throws them OFF since YOU'RE in control now. Even if they sell the truck at invoice, they're STILL making 3% of the MSRP on the holdback. Ford pays the dealer 3% of the MSRP to have the truck on the lot.

The fairest deal is $300 over invoice, so the salesman makes $300, and the dealership makes their 3% of thousands and thousands of dollars.

NEVER buy the extended warranty when you're buying the truck, it's just a way for the dealer to suck LOTS of $ from you. You have 1 year or 12,000 miles to get the extended warranty with no additonal fees, and after that it's an extra $250 up to 3 years / 36,000 miles.

The best deals on Ford extended warranties is Troy Ford in OH. Check them out at www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com

I hope this helped!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
buying new 2010 Lariat

I started shopping for a new truck last week. From what I have gathered, dealer invoice is around 42,200 for a loaded 4x4. I have been quoted sales prices around $36,600 which is apprx 21% off the msrp of $46,400.

Do you think I can do any better? I would love to get another 5% off and get sale price down to $34+K.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
i've been looking at supercrew lariat 4x4s for a while now. almost all dealers will only come down $1500-$2000 above invoice. I've told every dealership that i'd take the truck at invoice and they laugh and say there's no way. i'm gonna try again at the end of the month, i heard it was better to buy then as opposed to the beginning or middle of the month.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Dealer invoice vs Dealer cost

Dealer invoice isn't their true cost because they get additional incentives. Ask to see their 'dealer cost' then add in shipping and profit margin of 2-3% and see if they will go for that price.

I just found a student rebate of $500. And, there is suppose to be a 'customer loyalty' rebate of $500 to 2500, but I havent found out the details yet.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I think it is important to understand where the dealership makes their money, which is from a combination of 4 sources. First, any dollar paid for a vehicle over invoice (the price the dealership paid for the truck). Second, is what I call the blonde, blue eyed, bit tittied 20 something year old whose job is to sell you **** you don't need (for example extended warrenties from day one....if you want them buy'm later from troy ford or whereever; or my personal favorite the "clear coat protection," I got your clear coat protections....its called WAX). Third, dealerships make money from per vehicle commission, that is to say that they are paid x per vehicle they sell from 1 to say 20. At the 21st vehicle they sell, they get y (which is bigger, say x=$100 then y=$150) AND it is retroactive to the first vehicle they sell. This is how dealerships who have large commerical and internet departments make a killing, because they are getting sometimes $500 per vehicle and moving maybe 200 vehicles per month, that $100,000 is PURE profit. Those same dealerships are where you and I are going to find the BEST deals, because they don't care about the price as much as moving the vehicle. They don't care about an extra $5,000 off the invoice price if it means moving a vehicle because they might MAKE $6,000 just by hitting that next step. Plus, thats a VERY satisfied customer who will spread the word about the GREAT deals at XYZ Ford, bringing new customers, keeping us, and more importantly one more vehicle for the service department. Whic brings me to the fourth revenue stream from a dealership is service, this department typically supports the entire dealership and is it's largest source of revenue. I'm going to get too into depth here because unles it is a warrent issue, I just use the search button on this forum to fix my truck !!!! I LOVE THIS WEBSITE keeps $$$ in my pocket!

It is also important to note that when you use their fiance department, the dealership typically gets a cut from that too. However, if you qualify for 0% APR you'd be a fool to turn it down.

Next, there are two people who you will meet and need to know how they make their money, because knowledge is power and power allows you expolite their motovations. The sales person is a pee on, the only thing he or she can do is set up the deal for the manager (who has the final approval). Unless you walk into the dealership and pay at or above MSRP, the sales person isn't going to "write it up" for you without their manager's approval. Additionally, most sales people get their paycheck from two sources, commission and sometimes a small flat salary. The commission is of course the largest part of their pay check and keeps them coming to work in the morning, and more importantly is entirely dependent on the dealership making PROFIT from the deal. How does that affect you the buyer? Simple, typical floor sales people get a percentage of the profit that the dealership made, that percentage also increases as the amount paid increases over the dealership's cost [think purchase price OVER invoice]. So, the sales person has a VESTED interest in NOT giving you the best deal possible. That isn't to say that they are bad people, merely people trying to bring home the bacon. Aren't we all?

The second person you need to know is the Sales Manager. This is a senior, and successful sales person who makes a commission off of the sales person's commission BUT more importantly makes a percentage of the DEALERSHIP profit. So, their vested interest is making the dealership money, which is why they are the one's who have the final go/no go authority and NOT the sales person.

Also, timing is EVERYTHING. Best time of the month is the last FULL week of the month when the managers are under the gun to make deals and move cars so they can hit the next step...remember steps are retroactive to vehicle 1! Go during a slow month, when the lot is is transition-meaning between late summer and the end of the year. Buy off the lot, and buy something that has been sitting. Why? AH, I'm glad you asked! Be.....cause the dealership is "given" the vehicle on a 90 day "floor plan," during which time they don't pay anything for it. If they sell, perfect! If not....now they have to pay Ford between 2-4 dollars per vehicle PER DAY! So vehicles that have been sitting on the lot for more then 90 days are costing the dealer money, again giving you an advantage because not only are you more likely to have more incentives from Ford but the dealer is more likely to go "into the hole" (read below invoice price) just to move the car. This is where their line "ddrrrr whats it going to take to get you into a car TODAY?" My answer is always, eh a good deal! It is important to note that the dealer doesn't truely pay anything for the vehicle until it is sold, so sometimes you can losen them up simply by showing your knowledge (or PRECEIVED knowledge) of where and how they make and spend money.

Lastly, incentives are reimbursed by Ford therefore are a good starting point but really as far as the dealership is concerned they are selling at MSRP because again incentives are reimbursed by Ford. So, the absolute BEST deals come from those have patiences and are willing to work on the dealer. It might take a trip or two, hell 3 or 4 but its YOUR MONEY! **** them, believe me when I tell you the dealer is in the business of making money and therefore will NEVER make a deal that will COST them at the bottom line at the end of the month.

You have the power, if you don't like it or don't feel good about it walk.

Last edited by FireEngineer; 09-11-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi everyone, looking at getting a silver loaded screw fx4, everything but nav, right now (MSRP 43,500~). I told the dealer I want to pay 36k OTD including ttl and finance charges. So far I got 37. Is this a good deal? I think so and I think I should pull the trigger.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Ok, so I talked to dealer today and the guy was trying to pull a fast one and didn't include my 5k down payment in that 37k "OTD" price. I got them to 39,800 right now. THATS EVERYTHING, includes my 5k down, finance charges and TTL. So what do you guys think, I was more inclined at 37, guy says this is 200 under invoice. I think he can go lower.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM
I think so too, I just bought my FX4/Luxury package. MSRP was $44,410.00,
I took it home for $35,836.28.

Work them a little harder

Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure where all you guys live but you might want to check out Woodhouse here in Nebraska. They sell a ton of trucks. I'm heading down there tomorrow to look at upgrading my 2006 F150. Here is their Ford ad for those interested. It might be worth a road trip.

http://www.woodhouse.com/weekly_ads/ford_vehicles.htm

Adam

Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I looked around for quite sometime for an 2010 FX4 model 150 I have Ford's A plan. I was quoted about 34K OTD. While I thought it was a good deal I hesitated as I hate having a payment. A few weeks later a friend called me to ask if I'd be interested in his 04 f150. Truck was exactly what I wanted big wheels/lift, stereo, lights etc.. Only thing I didn't like was cloth seats and slightly higher mileage than I was looking for 109K. He was looking to get out from under it pretty quickly and after a quick get together we swapped vehicles and I paid an extra 9k. My car was 97 540i with 185k. Overall I feel I got a good deal and better than anything I didn't have to deal with the whole selling of my car etc.. I think we both got a fair price for our vehicles. I estimate I paid approx 15k (9cash and 6 for car which I'm not sure I could have gotten on my own)

So the moral of the story is keep your eyes open as in my case while I don't have a shinny new truck yet but I do have a truck that I love with no payments. Trucks running great and I think I even like cloth better than leather.. So keep your eyes open.....

Last edited by 2ndChapter; 12-05-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by FireBean
I read that 10-25% off sticker is a good deal so I decided 25% off was it. Picked out my truck, loaded FX4, again called around told them what I wanted to pay and they went for it, the rest is history.

Good luck, afterall you are buying two at once they should bend over backwards for you, make them earn it!!!

my two cents

FB
That's how to do it. Specially right now with the much improved 2011's out. 25% off should be the minimum to anyone buying a 2010.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by FireBean
I read that 10-25% off sticker is a good deal so I decided 25% off was it. Picked out my truck, loaded FX4, again called around told them what I wanted to pay and they went for it, the rest is history.

Good luck, afterall you are buying two at once they should bend over backwards for you, make them earn it!!!

my two cents

FB
That's how to do it. Specially right now with the much improved 2011's available. 25% off should be the minimum to anyone buying a 2010.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Another thing to remember is that dealers could be selling a whole lot more vehicles than they are currently selling. Although there are plenty of lookers, there are very few cash buyers and only a small percentage of financing applicants qualify for the best (or 0%) financing. If your and your wife's numbers are high, this places you firmly in the driver's seat.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I know Im late here,...but I have read this and a few other threads and here in CT and NY the dealers wont budge getting close to their "dealer Invoice"

they all say we cant sell at invoice , wed make no money...

i even gave the whole speel I know and have read about all the ways they make money even when they sell below INVOICE...and he was unfazed...

we dont sell below invoice period..

the first dealer was trying to sell me the truck for a lousy 2,000 below MSRP!!! and his "DEALER INVOICE" was another grand below that!!

from what i have been reading a truck at $37,500 MSRP , I should be about to buy at 33,500.

doesnt seem like I could even get the truck at $34,400...

I dont want to pay too much...but i dont want to be an idiot and be offereing something they cant possibly take!!!!

i can wait another week , then its closer to the end of the month...one dealer has maybe 15 f-150s...problem all the other dealers close by have one or two and they dont have what I want....

I want to take the 0% for 60 months... and $500 cash back.... and get the $1000 add on to any trade i bring in( have one already negotiated one place)...but do i figure my price at invoice or just below BEFORE that $1500 in cash back????? or after?? I have seen internet deals on 36.5K msrp trucks selling for $29,999...even with $4500 in incentives and rebates...thats still well below INVOICE

bob

Quick Reply: 2010 fx4 screw MSRP vs Invoice