Purchase price? 2001 F-150 SuperCrew

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Mileage 2001 F-150 SuperCrew

I'm considering the purchase of a HIGH MILEAGE 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. I drove the trunk... feels fine, tracks straight, brakes straight, transmission shifts are OK (definately not new vehicle crisp, but solid, no slipping or sliding in and out of gears).

I also ran the transfer case throught it's paces: iand and out of 4 HI and in and out of 4 L. It really "slammed" into 4L, enough that it moved the truck with my foot FIRMLY on the brake pedal.

My quesiton is, are there any components that I should SPECIFICALLY check on a high-mileage 4x4? Shocks and tires all appear original. It's showing 84,000 miles and it appears to have mostly been highway miles. (The OE Goodyear tires don't have much life left... )

FYI.. it is a 5.4L with the shift-on-the-fly electronic transfer case. It's a Lariat with the 40/20/40 seat, leather, CD and changer, etc, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Stanger58; 02-02-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Having a 2001 SuperCrew myself, I can point you to the problems that I've experienced and maybe you can check to see if the problems are prevalent across the boards or if it was simply an isolated issue with mine...

Warranty Issues I've dealt with to date:

1. Back window leak (design flaw in sealing system around glass--glass itself doesn't leak)
2. Several tiny asthetic items that I shant mention...
3. Leaking window washer solution nozzle/hose that stained hood paint.
4. Leaking sunroof seal. Replaced and is A-O-K now.
5. Excessive wear on steering wheel but, this would be somewhat expected with 84k miles.

As you can see, I've had little of no problems with my truck. It's solid...

Good luck with your purchase and if you have any other questions, you've definately landed in the right place.

RP

Old 02-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: High Mileage 2001 F-150 SuperCrew

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stanger58

I also ran the transfer case throught it's paces: iand and out of 4 HI and in and out of 4 L. It really "slammed" into 4L, enough that it moved the truck with my foot FIRMLY on the brake pedal.

Stanger,
It sounds like you had the transmission in gear when you when from 4H to 4L. That's a BIG no-no. 2H to 4H and 4H to 2H may be done moving or standing still, in gear or in nuetral, but never shift from 4H to 4L while moving or in gear.

SL

Quick Reply: Purchase price? 2001 F-150 SuperCrew