K&W Trans-X Stop leak and tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow K&W Trans-X Stop leak and tune-up

Can I use this stuff as a flush for my manual 5 speed? It says on the can 'for automatic transmissions' but this stuff has the consistency of K&W Engine Flush, or the other kinds of engine flushes out there.
If anyone knows if this is safe, and how I should execute, let me know. Thank you much!

Old 02-11-2001, 08:10 AM
Question

Anyone???

Old 02-11-2001, 07:09 PM
The product might contain an ingredient which is intended to swell seals. There are pro's and con's for that -- and if you do not have seals which are leaking due to being hard and shrunk and worn -- you will be putting them at risk.

Many new transmissions use a 'paper' bonded to the synchronizer (in lieu of machined brass) -- and may be affected by whatever chemicals are contained in your additive (of course, since the transmission uses automatic transmission fluid -- and so do automatic transmission -- the fear of de-bonding or affecting the friction material is remote).

You would probably get the most benefit from your fluid change if you simply ensure that the transmission has a magnet somewhere in it (to capture the miniature rubbings from the mated gears and bearings). You can easily make your own by drilling a blind hole into the drain plug and snugly-fitting a magnet (removed from a pocket screwdriver) and securing the magnet by 'staking' (punching dimples next to the hole into which the magnet resides) so as to captue any hard metals as they circulate thru the lubricant.

------------------
Y2K™ 7700 4x4
Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: K&W Trans-X Stop leak and tune-up