Which ATF to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which ATF to use?

I need sugestions on new fluid. I have a screw with the 4.6 and tow a big boat, ( yes I know I should have bought the 5.4, but I didn't have the boat when I got the rig ). I need the best trany fluid for the long trips out to the river.

Thanks, Greg

Old 02-05-2001, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe when I change my fluid I will use a synthetic. I would think that Amzoil, Mobil 1, or any other premium brand synthetic that meets your required fluid spec would be the best. Synthetic is the best choice because of its inherent stability....at both hot and cold temperatures as well as its superior anti-wear performance. I believe in your and my case we would only be concerned about the heat.

Let me also say that if you do not have a trans cooler, GET ONE. Heat is your tranny's BIGGEST ENEMY. I bought a large cooler at NAPA and installed it in an afternoon. I also have the 4.6L, (yea, I know, should have gotten the 5.4L...but the 4.6L pulls my boat and camper fine), and I have had good luck so far. I plan my first change of fluid and filter next month.

Good luck !

Quick Reply: Which ATF to use?