Tranny fluid...flush or just drain and replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny fluid...flush or just drain and replace?

I have a 97 F-150 4X4 with the 5.4 motor in it. It has about 117000 on it and the tranny fluid has never been changed. I have talked to several people about this and some say don't flush it because you may break something off and screw up the tranny. Others say to flush it.

Also, how do I find out what tranny fluid it uses? I am not sure which tranny I have.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

Old 11-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Jon,

If it has never been changed I would do a filter change as well as a flush. It isn't really a flush per say, as no chemical cleaners are used. What they do is hook your cooler lines into a machine and pump the old fluid out and new in. It get the torque converter too. Tthe dealer can do both, mine quoted me $125 for a filter change and flush. I would definately do a filter swap if it has never been done.

If you look on the door jamb there should be a code sticker on there. If there is a U under Transmission you have a 4R70W. I'm not sure of the others, but the only other tranny offered is the R100 I believe. For a 97 you can use Mercon or Mercon V in the 4R70W. 98 and later are Mercon V only.

Good Luck,

John

Old 11-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice.

I checked with a few places and Mr. Transmission had the best price...50 bucks. I am not sure what all they do for that price though.

I have been trying to find a place for a tune-up also. Dealer said they run $113...that only includes changing plugs and checking sensors.

I'll keep shopping.

Thanks again,

Jon

Old 11-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Jon,

Check and see what they do for the $50. It's probably a drain, replace the filter and fill or a flush but not both for that price. If it's the first it'll be ok, just make sure the drain the Torque converter as well. You'll bet all the fluid out except for what resides in the cooler lines and auxialliary cooler if you have one. (which they can also blow out with shop air)

$113 for the tuneup is a great price!! Especially for the 5.4 and the PIA it is to change those plugs. Jump all over it. Do they know it's a 5.4? Mine was about the same for the 4.6 Really not much else to do on a tuneup except maybe change the fuel filter.

John

Old 11-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi SuperF Welcome!

You usually (sometimes not) get what you pay for. So...shop wisely. Understand whats going to be done etc.

Something to think about. You have to figure this out...but be sure that tranny is shifting ok and no fluid leaks after service. Ck. for correct fluid level. Sometime ago i got shorted 1 1/2 qts.

Same on tune up...engine running ok etc. after service.

I only mention this cause ive done it.. others have posted about after service problems. Not that you should expect to have a problem...just something to think about. JMO

Good luck...OT

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid...flush or just drain and replace?