4R70W torque rating details

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4R70W torque rating details

Essentially, what I have been seeing is:

4R70W is rated for 700 ft/lbs for torque 4R100 is rated for 1000 ft/lbs of torque

If this rating is calculated:
(FlywheelTorque* TorqueMultiplier)?
AKA 350 * 2 =700?

Then my 5.4L 2001 SuperCrew is already at maximum strait from the factory. Never mind that I put the superchip in, or that I intend to get a K&N FIPK and Gibson Side Swept exhaust, bring my torque up to about 430-450 ft/lbs, or 860-900 rating!

Please tell me I am calculating incorrectly, or that there is a cheap upgrade, or that upgrading my 4x4 F-150 trany to the 4R100 is cheap (right).

------------------
F-150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariet, Harvest Gold with: Black Platform Type Cab Steps, Skid Plates, Manual Sliding Rear Window, Class III Trailer Towing Group, AM/FM Stereo with Cassette and 6 Disc CD, 5.4L V8, Leather Captain's Chairs, 3.55 Axle with Limited Slip, Line-X bed liner, Lund Interceptor Bug Deflector, Ford Chrome Hitch Cover, K&N Filter, SuperChip.

Old 12-12-2000, 05:44 PM
Yuor calcs are, unfortunately, correct. The GOOD news is that the 5.4 version of the 4R70W is MUCH stronger internally than the "normal" versions, even though it carries the same designation. It's still no E40D/4R100 though. The conversion to the 4R100 might not be possible with the PCM interface and it surely would not be cheap.

Old 12-12-2000, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... DEGGLEST : Don't worry about your 4R70-W. The new improved version of the 5.4's 4R70-W is extremely strong. I have one in my "99" F-150 and I am putting a lot more than 400FT/LBS of torque through it and about 330H.P. I have had NO problems what so ever with it. I have almost 2 years of dragracing and hard driving on my 4R70-W. The only mods that I have done to help the tranny out are : A BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit - on stage 5, BAUMANN ENGINEERING preasure regulator valve, BAUMANN ENGINEERING bypass clutch control valve, REDLINE synthetic fluid, aftermarket PERMA-COOL tranny cooler with SUMMIT electric fan, AUTOMETER trans temp guage - to make sure the tranny fluid does'nt overheat. HEAT is a tranny's worst enemy! By the way if you install a SUPERCHIP, K&N FIPK, and a GIBSON exhaust you will ONLY be putting out about 410 - 415FT/LBS of torque at the flywheel. So don't worry about.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-13-2000, 12:13 AM
Wink

Degglest,

It sounds like your torque estimate is way too optomistic. The 5.4 engine is strong no doubt, but your torque will likely not be improved by much. The actual dyno tests I have seen on this sight don't back up those kinds of numbers. To my understanding much of the chip improvement is in providing firmer shifts, this leads to a much better "seat of the pants" feel. Trust Neal on this one, "stay cool" and don't worry about it.

------------------
2000 F-150 4x4 SuperCab XLT, 5.4 liter Triton V8 - Windsor, 4R70W automatic, Sterling 9.75" w/3.55 limited slip, towing package, sliding rear window, CD, keyless entry, Amazon Green / Silver.

77 Bronco, 64 Falcon

Old 12-14-2000, 10:46 PM
Thumbs down

Don't bother trying to ask the "Owner Connection" a stright question like how many ft/lbs of torque the 4R70W is rated for, all you will get is politically correct mumbo jumbo, run around BS. Along with references to complying with Federal this and State that... more BS.

------------------
F-150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariet, Harvest Gold with: Black Platform Type Cab Steps, Skid Plates, Manual Sliding Rear Window, Class III Trailer Towing Group, AM/FM Stereo with Cassette and 6 Disc CD, 5.4L V8, Leather Captain's Chairs, 3.55 Axle with Limited Slip, Line-X bed liner, Lund Interceptor Bug Deflector, Ford Chrome Hitch Cover, K&N Filter, SuperChip.

Old 12-15-2000, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, he's right, to get the torque rating of any Ford tranny, add a zero, a 4R70W is 700 ft/lbs, and a 4R100 is 1,000 ft./lbs.

The torque converter doubling the flywheel torque is more or less true, but it's a little more complicated than flywheel x 2, that equation is correct as far as it goes, but it's not always the one that matters per se, that's a peak T rating, and off the record I think that there is a little fudge factor in that in certain parts of the torque curve, but it's kinda technical (kay, way technical)

G

Old 12-16-2000, 11:14 AM
Can anyone tell me what the torque rating is for the 5 speed tranny???

Quick Reply: 4R70W torque rating details