Auto tranny shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Auto tranny shifting weird

For the past week or so, my truck has been shifting into "highway gear" at about 45 mph. The tach drops way down to about 13 grand and if you accelerate it has to kick into a lower gear to accelerate. Maybe I just never noticed this, but I just started driving in traffic a couple of weeks ago. I mean, if I was pulling something, my truck would constantly be downshifting. If I take it to the dealer they will probably say that nothing is wrong. Is this normal?

2000 XLT 4x4 ORP Ext. Cab, 5.4 auto, 3.55 gears. class III towing package.

Old 11-16-2000, 04:58 PM
Bercat44, Welcome aboard!

From reading your post I noticed you said "if I was pulling something, my truck would constantly be down shifting", ie:
towing. You should have the OD button off while towing. That constant hunting for the right gear is not uncommon. It will also kill your trans due to the added heat buildup. Go to the towing board to get more info on this.

Hobbit

BTW OD kicking in around 45 in normal driving conditions is normal. Also, a rise or drop of about 300-400 rpms as you coast and accelerate in traffic is normal, it the TC unlocking and locking.

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, still want a Superchip and by golly I'm gonna get one (just as soon and I hit the lottery )

Old 11-17-2000, 12:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

MIght be your OD kicking in,do you turn it off when your just driving around in traffic?
Of course Fords of the last ten years or so
can never decide what gear they should be in. jumping back and forth between gears at around 45 to 50(cruising speed)
Hope you get it figured out,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com Still want to lift it,YESSS!
FENDER GUITARS,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

Old 11-18-2000, 07:19 PM
these other owners dont know what they are talking about.... I have the same problem w/ my tranny. Its not a problem w/ turning the OD off. It shifts hard... longes... and shifts into OD at or before 50MPH, correct? Mine has gotten to the point where it shifts at wrong speeds. Such as 35-45. I work around the damn things so I am totally upset w/ the way it is performing. It can even be as simple as an emissions problem. Also a coil converter prob...

Old 11-26-2000, 03:19 PM
gah
Question

98SCREAMER,
Does the torque converter lock up in 3rd and OD or in OD only? My friend has an F-350 with a 4spd auto and he told me that his TC locks up in 3rd and OD.
Thanks.

------------------
'00 5.4L 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'99 Ranger 4.0L 4X4 XLT

Old 11-27-2000, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-27-2000, 12:56 AM
My 90-95-97 all shifted to OD driving normally. All had 3.55ls. The chip does hold back the shift some.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-2000, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 4R100, which your friend has will lock the converter in all four gears, I think a 4R70W which is what I think you have only locks the converter in 3 and 4.

G

Old 11-27-2000, 01:44 PM
gah
Question

Factory_Tech,
So if the TC locks up in 3rd and OD on my transmission, is it always locked when in OD, and speed dependent in 3rd? If this is the case, what speed (in 3rd) does the TC lock up at?
Thanks

------------------
'00 5.4L 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'99 Ranger 4.0L 4X4 XLT

Old 11-30-2000, 12:04 AM
Load, as calculated by the EEC, is what controls the shift points and TC lock/unlock. Going up a hill at 45 may not get you into OD, while going down the same hill at 45 will. bercat44, yours sound pretty normal to me. If your trans is hunting while cruising in town, turn OD off. The bit of gas mileage it might gain you is not worth the extra wear and you will be happier with the drivability.

birdman
BTW, one huge input into the Load calculation is the MAF(mass air sensor) When the elements get dirty, you can start to see some funky shift patterns.

Old 12-06-2000, 06:44 PM
Well I appreciate everybodies replies, but the power loss has seemed to worsen. I have a appointment at one of the local Ford dealers here in St.Louis on Monday. It has got to the point that when it does shift into overdrive, the slightest amount of acceleration kicks it into a lower gear. It is no where near as responsive in 1st-2nd-3rd or 4th as it was. I remember going up some hills on the way to my parents and thinking how nice it is to have a truck not pull down on hills. It pulls down dramatically now. I can also remember that I had to try to not break the rear tires loose when accelerating from a stop sign, now I can't break them loose unless the tires are wet. Up until last Friday, I had not put any mods on my truck, so it is nothing that I have done. I just put a Flowmaster II exhaust kit with side exit. Helped a little. Oh well, will find out Monday. Hopefully.

2000 F150 XLT Supercab ORP
Deep Wedgewood Blue
5.4 litre, 3.55 gears, class III towing package, Captains chairs.
Extras (so far):
AmeriGaurd sprayed in bedliner
Flowmaster II exhaust system
K&N Air Filter (FIPK is enroute as we speak)

Old 12-06-2000, 06:45 PM
Well I appreciate everybodies replies, but the power loss has seemed to worsen. I have a appointment at one of the local Ford dealers here in St.Louis on Monday. It has got to the point that when it does shift into overdrive, the slightest amount of acceleration kicks it into a lower gear. It is no where near as responsive in 1st-2nd-3rd or 4th as it was. I remember going up some hills on the way to my parents and thinking how nice it is to have a truck not pull down on hills. It pulls down dramatically now. I can also remember that I had to try to not break the rear tires loose when accelerating from a stop sign, now I can't break them loose unless the tires are wet. Up until last Friday, I had not put any mods on my truck, so it is nothing that I have done. I just put a Flowmaster II exhaust kit with side exit. Helped a little. Oh well, will find out Monday. Hopefully.

2000 F150 XLT Supercab ORP
Deep Wedgewood Blue
5.4 litre, 3.55 gears, class III towing package, Captains chairs.
Extras (so far):
AmeriGaurd sprayed in bedliner
Flowmaster II exhaust system
K&N Air Filter (FIPK is enroute as we speak)

Old 12-07-2000, 07:48 PM
Thanks Birdman. I will try that out tomorrow. Is there any way to clean the MAF myself?

Old 12-08-2000, 12:17 AM
Have you tried resetting the EEC? The easiest way is to find the EEC keep-alive-memory(KAM) fuse, usually in the underhood fuse box, pull it, crank the motor for a couple secs, put it back in, and go.
Otherwise, disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes.
Then take a leisurely drive for about 30 minutes. Key here is to drive with steady throttle position so the EEC can relearn sensor values and all.
I am leaning towards a dirty MAF, possibly some oil from the K&N is on the elements.

Good Luck
Here is a link to check out
http://home.flash.net/~rfm2/massair.htm

[This message has been edited by birdman (edited 12-07-2000).]

Quick Reply: Auto tranny shifting weird