Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filter Change

I've done a search and can't find a direct answer to this question.

Do you change your Trans filter everytime? I had the Service done at the dealer at 30-35k. They dropped the pan, put in a new filter and drained the TC. At that time they did not have a flush machine.

At 60K I had Valvoline do the flush. Last week at 75k I had them do the flush again. They reccomended flushing every 15k. They also filled with Mercon V.

I guess I'm concerned about the filter. Do I need to change it now, or should I wait until 90k and have the dealer do it? They now have the flush machine as well.

Any opinions?

John

Old 10-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Search

OK I did a different search on Transmission Flushing. Found out a lot more info on the filter change.

I guess my question would now be; would it be ok to wait until 90k to change the filter? The filter would then have approx 60k on it. I hate to pay another $150 since I just had it flushed and filled with Mercon V for $110.

John

Old 10-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Confusion Reigns!!!

OK,

I called the dealer who did the first service at 35k and double checked to make sure they changed the filter. He said they just clean the screen. What the hell is that? I didn't know the 4R70W had a screen.

Then I checked my service manual and at 30k intervals it says:
"Change Automatic Transmission Fluid" never a mention of any filter change. It does mention Filter changes only in regards to engine oil service.

So what gives?

John

Old 10-24-2002, 03:48 PM
I hate to see somebody talking to themselves.

There is no recommended service interval on trans filters. I believe the book answer is that if the filter is not excessively plugged it may be reused.

Having said that, if I was going to do a fluid change myself I would drop the extra $25 and do the filter. Clean the magnet and pan well when you have it down, and if you find a plastic plug or piece don't panic-it is left over from the original install of the tranny; and proves the dealer didn't drop the pan.

Old 10-24-2002, 03:49 PM
confusious says.....

"when in doubt,change it out"

Old 10-24-2002, 07:35 PM
Hi John

Know what you mean. Got me to thinking.

Have almost 16,000 since last change. At that time...a/t was rebuilt under FW...among parts listed..."new filter"

Called local Ford svc dept. and was told for just a routine a/t fluid change they now back flush the tranny thru the lines. They do not drop the pan or change the "screen" .Said machine did a good job of flushing system and screen. Cost $160.00

I didnt mention the rebuild..just wanted to know whats up. He did recommed a flush. I do tow.

So dont know myself about changing the screen/filter? Same with another private shop i called but $100.00 I probably could just do the back flush?

Geez! decisions...decisions....decisions

Good luck....OT

Old 10-26-2002, 02:29 AM
If we're talking about tranny filters here...our mannuals say to change them every 30,000 mi. along with the tranny fluid. Every 15,000 mi. for severe service. what it doesn't tell you is to change the torque converter fluid, too.

I guess it's assumed that since you have the tranny pan off, you might as well change the filter.

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-2002, 08:39 AM
If the dealer told you he cleaned the screen, then he lied to you. There is no screen in your tranny. I'd find someone else to do the service or do it yourself. In my view its easier than changing the engine oil and truly less messy. I have read some of the guys says it's tougher on a 4x4, wouldn't know. When I saw the thick layer of grey slime on the bottom of the pan and the same gray color inside the old filter I knew the $30 was well spent. I feel like it made a difference in the shifting too.

Old 10-26-2002, 03:53 PM
Hi John

Interesting eh! Either its DIY or take to a shop. Thats always been true. Guess that why i still chg. oil and do what i can.

Ford svc. closed today. Ill be asking specific questions when i get ahold of them. When to change that filter/screen/etc.

Screen/filter...both mean something different to me.

Perhaps when they say screen they should be saying filter/maybe not?

Your right. My book (99) has no filter change listed. Just times to chg./ask dealer about particulars.

Anyhow...Tiger got me to thinking...how effective are these machines at backflushing (incld TQ) and cleaning out filter/screen?

Havent seen the filters for these a/t. Are they actually a filter with filtering material installed inside like a oil filter? If not...then perhaps it is some type of very fine screening. You were told it was cleaned.

mf150...you have newer truck...Maybe theres a difference in models/maybe not. Just not in my book.

Tks...Good luck...OT

Old 10-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Those machines are very effective at changing the fluid. They cannot backflush the transmission - it's impossible to backflush a transmission.

The filters are filters with a media similar to an engine oil filter. They are not screens.

Old 10-27-2002, 12:32 AM
Exactly

Mark,

That's my point. I hate Service Managers who don't know what the %&$! they're talking about!! Of course I no longer get my vehicle serviced there. It was very convenient when I was working Downtown, but I've found a dealership that is practically next door to my new employer. Tri-County Ford in Buckner, KY. I've had them do several things over the past year and am very satisfied!!

I finally found the old service record and looked at the parts list. A Filter was installed at that 30k service. So he obvioulsy was mistaken.

I think I'm going to wait until 90K and swap out the filter at that change. They'll do a filter change and a Flush for me. They say they usually inspect the filter and if it's clogged they go ahead and swap it. The good news is they can't remember the last time they changed one on a 4R70W that had less than 150k.

John

Quick Reply: Filter Change