Can the shift firmness be reprogrammed in dealer land?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can the shift firmness be reprogrammed in dealer land?

I have a '01 SuperCrew. Sometimes the shift from first to second almost throws me through the windshield. It takes a second or second and a half to get into second gear. It doesn't slam into gear or anything it just cuts the power and smooooooothly shifts to second. I feel like I am driving an old lady's car!

The reason I ask is I would like to be prepared for dealer land when I get the deer-in-the-headlight look from the service writer. You know, the look right before they say "oh, that is normal or cannot duplicate customer complaint."

------------------
Supercrew 4x4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4 Triton
3.55 Limited Slip
6750# GVWR Package
Skid Plates
Moon Roof
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow - Class III
Cargo Cage
Grey Leather Captains Chairs
6-Disc CD Changer

Mods:
305/70/16 ATS, AR Atlas 16x8
Chrome Westin Steps

Planned: Dual Exhaust, Toneau Cover and Expedition Console Mod.

Another great Ford truck site -www.fseries.com

Truck Pictures

Old 11-21-2000, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi kkirt,

Sorry, but that is normal for these vehicles, and your dealership usually can't do anything about it. Ford uses a shift delay signal to deliberately elongate & soften the upshift, as part of their soft-shift strategy. Your analogy of comparing it to an old lady's car is *exactly* what they are trying to achieve, because so many of these vehicles are purchased by women and others (this is the automaker's view, not mine) who want the vehicle to have a shift characteristic like a passenger car, for lack of a better term.

This is further aggravated by the fact that they also use a transitional spark retard to reduce engine power during and just after the upshift, which is why the vehicle "noses over" going into second hear.

By all means complain to your dealer if you like, I think you'll probably find they'll tell you this is normal and nothing they can do about it. Sometimes they'll reflash your computer to a different calibration code, but it still doesn't change this basic soft-shift characteristic, as it is a deliberate strategy used by Ford and other automakers.

If you want to have that fixed, the Superchip can do that, you may or may not be interested in that product. If so, just give us a shout via email or our phone number below. And if not that's fine too, of course!

Best of luck at the dealer if you take it in, & enjoy your Thanksgiving!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-21-2000).]

Quick Reply: Can the shift firmness be reprogrammed in dealer land?