Squeel from tranny in 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Squeel from tranny in 1-2 shift

Tonight I thought I heard a squeeling (only breifly) from the tranny on the 1-2 shift. I was pulling away from a stop light under fairly hard acceleration. The truck ran up to about 4500 or 5000 rpms and then shifted, when it did, I heard the noise. It sounded just like a car that had a belt that's slipping. Under a normal shift there's no noise. I tried it again and ran 1st up to about 4000 or 4500 before the shift and it was the same thing. I have about 42000 miles on the truck. I haven't ever done anything to the tranny. Any suggestions? Please!

------------------
'99 F150 SC Lariat 4x4 Deep Wedgewood Blue with Harvest Gold 2-Tone, Medium Prairie Tan Leather (getting seat repaired), all the factory options (minus captain's chairs, 6 disc cd changer, ford tonnuea and push button 4wd) Polar Bear Brush Guard, Ford Factory Steb Bars, Extang Tonnuea Cover, Duracoat Liner with Rubber Mat, Flowmaster 50 series, Superchip, K&N Filter, Airbox Mod and Silencer Removed, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8"'s and a 250 watts RF amp

Old 10-30-2000, 08:56 AM
Question

Can you describe the noise??? Was it like a squeak? A groan?
I had my transmission replaced due to extremely hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, turns out that the torque converter had "blown" and there were pieces of it floating in the tranny pan. That would not have been good if that was sucked into one on the pumps in the tranny. Thank god for the warranty though!!!!!
Hope this helps, but if you can describe the sound, then I will be able to tell you a little more if it is the same as to what I had.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 Offroad, SuperCab, Prairie Harvest Gold, 5.4L Triton w/ K&N Air Filter, Lund Interceptor Bug Guard, Lund Headlight Covers, Lund Screenfront Grill Insert, Vent Visors, Smittybilt Outland Sport Bumper Gaurd w/ Hella 500 & 550 Driving lights, Access Roll-up Cover, Bedliner, Ford Reciever Hitch Cover, Taillight Covers, Bridgestone Dueler AT's

Future Mods: (No more, because of case pending with Ford for a buy back.. Now it is a lost cause with Ford
Link to Pictures:
zing.com

[This message has been edited by MNFORD99 (edited 10-30-2000).]

Old 10-30-2000, 09:05 AM
Sounded just like a belt that drives your accessories at the motor was slipping, except I could tell it was coming from the tranny.

------------------
'99 F150 SC Lariat 4x4 Deep Wedgewood Blue with Harvest Gold 2-Tone, Medium Prairie Tan Leather (getting seat repaired), all the factory options (minus captain's chairs, 6 disc cd changer, ford tonnuea and push button 4wd) Polar Bear Brush Guard, Ford Factory Steb Bars, Extang Tonnuea Cover, Duracoat Liner with Rubber Mat, Flowmaster 50 series, Superchip, K&N Filter, Airbox Mod and Silencer Removed, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8"'s and a 250 watts RF amp

Old 10-30-2000, 10:54 AM
Thumbs down

Well, it sounds then like it was what I had as well. If it "hits" the gear hard, and feels like the whole truck is lundging forward, then I would have it checked out before you do too much damage to the transmission. I saw the price of my factory re-built transmission, and it was around $2400 for the dealership...that is what was listed on the invoice that I saw anyways.

Old 10-30-2000, 11:00 AM
The feel was "fine" minus the noise. I was accellerating hard from the light. It was the feel that I would have expected. Could the tranny be slipping or not working wiht the motor at that high of an rpm? It doesn't do it at less than 4k. I'm worried cause I am way out of warranty.

------------------

Quick Reply: Squeel from tranny in 1-2 shift