4R70W Tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4R70W Tranny question

I want to calibrate my speedo accurately but in order to do so I need to change both the gear on the VSS and the gear in the tranny that drives it.

Does any one know if the gear inside the trans is replaceable. Maybe someone that has replaced the rear cone to fix the loose tailshaft bushing has noticed if it is ??

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanx.

Old 10-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
It sorta is replacable. The gear is cut into the output shaft. I think there are 7 tooth and 8 tooth shafts available.

Remove the transmission, tear it down, replace the output shaft, rebuild, and install. Easy!

Old 10-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Mark, is'nt there a way to replace it by just removing the rear housing?

If not would you have a 24 tooth VSS gear laying around ?? Even with a 23 tooth gear I'll still be off by 13%.

I'd hate to run out & buy taller tires just to calibrate the speedo. I can think of other mods I'd rather spend that money on!

Old 10-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi LePew

Dont recall where i saw it...it may have been on the computer chip bd? recal. the speedo etc...parts needed etc..

Did you try search?

Good luck....OT

BTW...i believe it was MikeT. (Perf.Prod) that gave some info. on recal. the speedo, along with others who have done it. I think some were done useing the schip...others actual part change.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:29 PM
Hiya Old Timer, The chip will recalibrate the speedo on 99 & up F150s. 97 & 98 are done through the Vss gear.

WLF did mention an electronic device that could prolly help but it's close to $200 and needs to be spliced into the wiring harness. It looks like I may have to resort to that anyway.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:56 PM
WLF
LE PEW,
I think it was about $200 but I could be off, it has been a while since I checked it out. Go to the Coral web site and do a search. There are a lot of Mustang guys who go to 430 and 456 gears and have the problem of low profile tires. The Mustangs that are pre 99 have the same problem we do. I don't think the device was hard to install. I do remember it was not designed for the F-150 but everyone thought it would work. Do a search on my name. I'm pretty sure I used WLF there also. It has been while but I think their search engine works like the one here.

Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by LE PEW
Mark, is'nt there a way to replace it by just removing the rear housing?
If it were possible I wouldn't have told you to remove the transmission and tear it down.

And no, I don't have any speedo gears around, of any tooth count.

Trending Topics

Old 10-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tsb98-4

LE Pew
sure hoped you would post that TSB you said you had in hand . I have not found any one that has it other than you , how bout it ?
ceddie15

Old 10-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Mark, I know that you said the tranny had to be removed for the procedure but I wanted to be sure.

When I was asking you for a 24 tooth gear I was joking. I thought you would realize that nobody makes a 24 tooth gear which is why I'm asking all these other questions regarding the Vss and it's drive gear. When you refered to removing the trans, tearing it down, replacing the shaft, and rebuilding it, and reinstalling it as "easy" I thought you were being humorous. I attempted to do the same in turn by asking for a gear that does'nt exist. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, and will continue to look forward to your advice and insights in the future.

Thanx again for your help.

Ceddie 15, try as I might I was never able to find the TSB you were looking for. I believe that ralphie mentioned in another thread that he might have found the TSB in question.

Originally posted by ralphie.

I'm looking at 98-4-22 and 98-4-12 right now. They both refer to 1998 F-150's and other Ford vehicles. Both mention an orange tag. 98-4-22 is for 4R100 trannies, and 98-4-12 refers to 4R70W trannies; neither is for a 1999 vehicle.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Le Pew,

No problem! I must have missed the humor.

I have copies of both of the those TSBs, but not electonically.

They both say that prior to a certain date (8-31-1998 for 98-4-12) that the dealer is to record some information and call Ford before performing any repair.

This is a common procedure. It is done to get a quick check on problems and get transmissions back to engineering for analysis if something does go wrong.

It does not mean there are experimental parts, or that there is a known quality problem. It only means that there is a desire to head off potential problems quickly.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:13 AM
WLF
LE PEW,
Here is the forum from the Mustang Corral site I was talking about. There are several suggestions in this post you can look at.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...threadid=57793

Old 10-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks WLF. I went thru that thread a few days back. I shot off an E-mail to Brothers about their speed cal but still no reply from them. TriblkCobra claims the two units are the same but the one from Dallas Mustang says it's for a 5 speed only? Nyuk98GT is running one successfully on a 4R70W but I dont know if the wiring on a mustang is the same as an F150.

There's a lot of unknowns in the mix but I think I can make it work if get it. Aside from the location on the shifter console I should be able to adapt it to the truck hopefully.
If their claim of adjustments + or- 20% is true I may not even have to touch the VSS gear at all !

Thanks again to all of you for your help !

Quick Reply: 4R70W Tranny question