Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2000, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch problem

My clutch pedal disengages the clutch at the top first thing in the morning but after driving for a while it disengages half way down then sometimes close to the floor.I have bled the system three times helps for a while then does it again.also when I bled it I got some stringey white pieces almost looks like white grease in the old fluid.anyone one with a similar experience?Thanks for any help.Still under warranty so I will take it in, just wanted some opinons in case I get the dreaded can't duplicate customers problem.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Gibson Sweptside/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 05-14-2000, 06:47 PM
mike150,

I am starting to have similar problems with my clutch. Mine varys quite a bit, even after driving it a few miles. There are time when I have no free play at all and it catches near the top, other times I have almost half of the clutch travel of free play and it catches near the bottom. I too bled my system and got that white stuff you speak of. It was better for a while, now its doing it again. If you go to the dealer, let me know how you make out.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 XLT BLACK ORP 4.6 5 SPEED 3.55
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
FLOWMASTER SERIES 40 SINGLE OUTLET
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX

Old 05-23-2000, 09:48 PM
Angry

My truck has the same problem. I took it to the dealer. After looking at it and comparing it to another truck, the technician said he didn't have a clue! He said there is no adjustment for the clutch pedal. They ordered a new slave cylinder and will install it this week, but said it was just a shot in the dark!!! I will let you know how it works.

------------------
'99 F-150 XLT 4x4 Reg. Cab, Oxford White, 4.6L V-8, 5-speed, 3.55LS

[This message has been edited by Bronco (edited 05-23-2000).]

Old 05-23-2000, 10:25 PM
White gunk in the fluid is a sign of water mixing with the fluid. Brake fluid (used in clutch too)absorbs moisture from the air with a vengence. That is why there is usually a rubber bellows between the fluid and the vented cap.

Constant need for bleeding also indicates that air is getting in the system somewhere.

..........Scott

Old 05-24-2000, 10:37 PM
I monitor the posts here about gear problems religiously -- and am partially convinced that most, if not all, of the shifting complaints are caused by the clutch adjustment/free-travel/lack-of-it that you're describing -- the end result is driver shift timing problems at best, and clutch drag at worst.

On paper, those hydraulic slave systems make great sense -- due to the 'auto-adjust' inherent to the design -- but I believe that you're on to something, and should start a thread and do a little poll about free-travel and time or temperature or whatever you think makes sense.

I do know that this problem is not reserved for F-150's.

------------------
Y2K™

XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 AW-Disc, 3.73LS, Skid, 7700# HD Towing, Chrome LT-245, Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, keyless, Toreador Red, called "Nick"

Old 05-26-2000, 09:31 PM
Talking

Took my truck in today they had to order a part so they should have it ready by tomorrow afternoon will let you know the results. Scott D I understand what your saying about the absorbtion of water but the white stuff isn't just the fluid turning milkey from water I got about 2 tablespoons of what looks and feels like white grease after 3 bleeds I got the fluid clear but still does same and also there were no bubbles inticating air.when you push the clutch in the rod pushes a round rubber seal in which in turn pushes another round seal into the master cylinder I think the second seal does'nt come all the way back up again'st the other seal maybe due to the grease like stuff in between the two seals, so I think that is why there is play in the pedal.Will find out for sure and let you know .thanks for all the replies.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Gibson Sweptside/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 05-26-2000, 10:59 PM
Thumbs down

I used to have a 5-speed in my other 97' reg cab. I had nothing but problems with the clutch. Everything you guys have mentioned. They replaced the slave cylinder 3 times and still didn't fix it. 2-3 weeks would come around and it would be right back to where it was. I called an after market place and they said that Fords slave unit was a weak link in the whole system. I would keep my eyes open for aftermarket if I were you.

Old 05-28-2000, 05:06 PM
Talking

Well got my truck back yesterday,they replaced the clutch master cylinder, fixed the problem.I asked about the grease like stuff in the fluid and was told it was assembly grease from the factory and would'nt have caused the problem which I doubt because when I bled the system it came out and blocked the bled tube till the next pump pushed it out of the tube and the amount in there seemed like alot,anyway it's fixed under warranty and it shifts smooth again.If anyone has the same problem and are out of warranty the part is fmc XL3Z 7A543 AA and is about 28.00 acording to the computer print out, seems to be easy to replace. maybe this is also the problem some people are having with the not so smooth shifting.if I would have paid ford for the cost it would have been 264.40. if the problem flairs up again i'll post again.thanks

------------------

Old 05-29-2000, 04:40 PM
Unhappy

Mike150,

Just got done reading your post and am probably gonna take my truck in this week. Did they give you any sort of hassle about doing the warranty work??? Ill let you guys know how I make out.

------------------
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX

Old 05-29-2000, 10:24 PM
Talking

no problem or hassels with warrenty work, did it no questions asked.I got under the truck today to see if every thing was put back right [sometimes little things aren't put back right]and noticed they had pulled the whole tranny to do the job, which wasn't needed to do the job on the clutch master cylinder so I guess they checked the whole system including the pressure plate and throw out bearing.it does shift a little smoother than before and it was pretty smooth to begin with so they did it right, so far.Btw BLACKENEDFORD,it only took one day to do the repair so go have it done and hopefully enjoy better shifting.

------------------

Old 05-30-2000, 07:56 PM
Alright...I finally made an appointment to bring my truck in for the clutch. To my surprise, the mechanic "quietly" told me that my truck hasnt been "the only one" that he has seen. Gotta love honesty. Anyway, its going in the 6th and Ill let you guys know how I made out. Mike150...I noticed that you said that they pulled the tranny. Do they have to do this to replace the slave cylinder???Should I tell them about the synthetic ATF in the tranny??? Will they replace it with synthetic or should I keep my mouth shut and eat the $20.00 I spent on it???

------------------
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX

Old 05-31-2000, 07:29 PM
Talking

BLACKENEDFORD, they replaced the clutch master cylinder,thats the one right under where you put your clutch fluid in.they don't have to pull the tranny to replace that one but I guess they checked the whole system out to make sure there was no damage to the pressure plate and the clutch lining since it wasn't fully disengaging.as far as the fluid I'm not sure that they have to drain it to pull it, maybe someone else can tell us.I hadn't thought of that because I had replaced mine with aimsoil synthetic so I guess I just ate that if they did drain it, but it sure is nice to have it fixed.Also I used to feel or hear something in the tranny kind of lightly clunk around when I had the clutch pedal in and going over speed humps or bumpy dirt roads now it's gone.About all you can do is ask they service guy about what they can do for you as far as the synthetic fluid goes. GOOD LUCK!!!!! with the repair and keep us informed, I would like to here if they did as good a job on yours as they did mine and if it smoothed out your shifts.maybe our combined info can help some of the other site members with a similar problem.

------------------

Old 06-07-2000, 04:52 PM
Well I got my truck back today. All they did was bleed it and tighten some fittings. I never told them that I bled it 3 times already. The clutch feels better, but I know its just gonna happen again. Jerks had it 2 days to do that!!! I did it in 15 min. Very inconveinent. Oh well....Ill let you guys know when it starts doing it again.

------------------
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX

Old 06-07-2000, 07:41 PM
Unhappy

BLACKENEDFORD sorry to hear they didn't replace anything should have told them you already bled the system,I did and I think it helped get them to replace the clutch master cylinder the first time.well exactly 1 week after I had it fixed it went bad again like in my first post but this time I couldn't get it to pump up as much,so I almost couldn't shift.I got home and called the sevice manager right away and he had me bring it in the next day and gave me a rental car [geo metro it sucked] anyway when I brought it in the clutch was fine [go figure] but they kept it for a couple of days and found the slave cylinder was bad and replaced it.Now I have a an all new system at 16,000 miles and hopefully the problem was solved.I have to say my service manager was very helpfull and could have just blown me off or just bled the system but was very prompt at getting me in a rental and taking the time to fix it right and also calling me personally to tell me what the diagnosis was.He also called personally to let me know it was done and I could pick it up.So if you live in tucson got to holmes tuttle ford for service and get mike hill for your service adviser. BLACKENEDFORD stick with it till they get it fixed!!!!!!!! I was lucky to have a good service manager.

------------------

Old 06-19-2000, 05:46 PM
Thumbs down

Hey guys!!! Ive been in Laconia all week so I havent been able to reply about my truck. 3 days after I got it back, the clutch was acting up again. At least it was no surprise. I didnt have time to bring it back since I was headed to bike week so I just said **** it. I didnt realize just how bad it was though until I got caught up in traffic. It took me 4 hours to get there and 10 to get home.!!!!! Anyway, Im surprised the clutch even works. I had almost no pedal at all. Very frustrating!!!!! I called Ford and they are going to order me a slave cylinder. Ill let you guys know how I make out this time. Oh by the way... I did manage almost 19 mpg on the way up!!!!

------------------
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX