metal shavings

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2000, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question metal shavings

I switched to Mobil1 synthetic in my 5-speed after 21k miles. I noticed the drain plug magnet was coated with metal shavings. How common is this? Is this normal? Just wondering if I should be concerned. Thanks in advance. m.a.t.

------------------
1999 XLT SC, bright red, 4.2l, 5 speed, MAAP stainless nerfs, Prime Designs bug deflector, Astro Euro-Lid II, Mobil 1.

Old 08-04-2000, 08:50 AM
If they are very fine shavings that is normal, if you have bigger particles-not so good.

Old 08-04-2000, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the TransGo Shift Kit at a little over 12,000 miles and found a slight film on the magnet. It is about time to change the fluid and filter again (38,000)I am curious to see if my install has caused any internal damage. It shift quick an all seems to work okay.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks

Old 08-04-2000, 11:56 PM
Next time you look at the particles on a magnet, swish the magnet in some gasoline first (lightly, so as to not flush-off the particles -- but enough to dilute the gear oil), and touch a paper towel to the base of the 'fuzz' so as to wick-off the liquid.

If all of the 'fuzz' is verrrrrrrry small in particle size -- and small in volume -- with no Rocks or Wrenches stuck to the magnet -- then you are seeing the machine marks from the hobbing or grinding (depends upon how high-tech the manufacturing process is) becoming knocked-off by other high-spots on the mating gears.

That's why the magnet is there.

Other materials, like copper/brass/aluminum will go thru the gearset with ease (actually keep things quiet and lubricated -- technically -- but not desiredly).

One thing -- Never never nevvvver touch your magnet to gearing. Doing so will magnetize the gear and, guess where the 'fuzz' will want to migrate? During the gear manufacturing process, preventing gear magnetism is an interesting challenge.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim Gorka

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: metal shavings