Need help on Trans Temp Gauge install!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on Trans Temp Gauge install!?!

Last week, I installed the Autometer Carbon Fiber electronic trans temp gauge. Install was a piece of cake as I used the "Line" port on the 4R70W transmission. But, since the install, the gauge has never gone over 100*, even while towing my 3500# boat.

I am at my wits end with this gauge. I double checked to be sure that I had 12 volts at the gauge when the key was on, I checked for continuity on the wire between the sending unit and the gauge, I temporarily grounded the sending wire to be sure the gauge was operating, I relocated the ground I originally ran under the dash outside and down to the frame, and I verified the sender was not losing it's ground through the teflon tape. Everything checks out fine, but the gauge just doesn't want to go over 100*.

The light works fine and the gauge does move to the right about 1/4" up to the 100* mark when I turn the key on. It will also drop back down when I turn the key off.

With the temperatures you guys are recording, I really don't think that my 4X4 2000 F-150 with tow package would run THAT much cooler.

If anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, is there a way to test the sending unit besides dropping it into boiling water? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Need help on Trans Temp Gauge install!?!